Meet my finny friends...

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
Thanks, all the tanks have Sandtastik floral sand. I'm extremely pleased with the results the colors just jump at you under led lights.

Patch has the Apple Green
Kong has the Baja Blue
The main tank with Boss and Brick is Caribbean Mist
. The sand looms great. Beautiful fish.

Reactions: FINWIN

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
. The sand looms great. Beautiful fish.
Thanks. I'll be posting pics here showing Brick's growth moving forward and any other interesting shots. The parrots are definitely still growing even though they're considered full adult size. Saw in your sand thread you've been in the hobby 50 years? Wow, color me impressed I had no idea! A great aunt of mine used to keep tanks back in the day which is how I got interested in fish. She kept mostly livebearers, guppies, mollies and swordtails. Stores used to sell this crystalline paint stuff people would paint on their tanks for backgrounds. She would often use the green and red.

Everyone had poop patrol and water change today so they're happy (Patch of course tried to bite me because I cleaned her favorite spot). And a funny thing happened regarding the fake fish. I haven't had to use them! Brick and Boss now get along really well. It was definitely about the food. So I have a new technique where I drop broken pellets with whole ones. Brick can't grab everything so Boss nails his pieces. Boss has a smaller mouth than the other parrots so he can't quite get down the medium sized ones even when soaked. The fact that Brick is rapidly growing and bulking out has a lot to do with it, too...hard to bully someone you can't move anymore. :grinyes:

It's hard for the camera to capture the size of these parrots, they are THICK. The angles tend to flatten out everything.

Last edited:

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
As a note, Brick's staggering growth rate continues. So here's where it stands now:

12/15/18 = 2 inches
1/4/19 = 3 inches
1/18/19 = 5 inches

He is now the same length as my 5 inch Parrot, Boss.

Diet: Hikari Gold, Hikari Excel, Cichlid Crisps, Bug Bites, peas, banana, Hikari Blood-Red Parrot Plus

Tank size 225 shared with one other fish, Boss the parrot
W/C Tuesdays and Saturdays, 40 percent

Meals are reduced from 6 small ones down to 4 due to larger size of pellets fed.
Brick easily consumes 20 medium pellets a day...he isn't chunky, constipated or fat just massive. He burns it off with high energy and swims the tank constantly. In fact I cap his consumption or he would eat more.

"Poop patrol" is daily after all meals are fed

I keep a transparent ruler at the base of the tank and he likes to check it out so measurement is easy...I honestly thought he was 4 inches until the other day when I noticed he was as long as Boss. Brick often rests by the ruler so I was astounded he's gone to 5...but his face is looking like a teen O for sure and losing that 'baby' look. He has more growth edges on his fins which appear every 2-4 days. I will have pics showing the progression.
I think I may have Otto from the Doctor Seuss story...:bling:

Reactions: Fishflyer

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
As a note, Brick's staggering growth rate continues. So here's where it stands now:

12/15/18 = 2 inches
1/4/19 = 3 inches
1/18/19 = 5 inches

He is now the same length as my 5 inch Parrot, Boss.

Diet: Hikari Gold, Hikari Excel, Cichlid Crisps, Bug Bites, peas, banana, Hikari Blood-Red Parrot Plus

Tank size 225 shared with one other fish, Boss the parrot
W/C Tuesdays and Saturdays, 40 percent

Meals are reduced from 6 small ones down to 4 due to larger size of pellets fed.
Brick easily consumes 20 medium pellets a day...he isn't chunky, constipated or fat just massive. He burns it off with high energy and swims the tank constantly. In fact I cap his consumption or he would eat more.

"Poop patrol" is daily after all meals are fed

I keep a transparent ruler at the base of the tank and he likes to check it out so measurement is easy...I honestly thought he was 4 inches until the other day when I noticed he was as long as Boss. Brick often rests by the ruler so I was astounded he's gone to 5...but his face is looking like a teen O for sure and losing that 'baby' look. He has more growth edges on his fins which appear every 2-4 days. I will have pics showing the progression.
I think I may have Otto from the Doctor Seuss story...:bling:
You did a lot of work on the tanks-- and your fish profiles. You have some real personalities going on there. :)

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
You did a lot of work on the tanks-- and your fish profiles. You have some real personalities going on there. :)
thx. Today is water change day and the usual "poop patrol". Working on the tanks is calming during these difficult times. Tried to get a close up pic with a new size comparison with Brick and Boss but he got TOO close so everything came out fuzzy! I'll try again later.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store