Meh. I tried to help.

cichlid2006

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2008
Fife - Scotland
Natural_Born_Killer;2871012; said:
I simply do not grasp how people can hear something like this and not even think twice about what they are doing.

some people just dont like being told things they dont want to hear, especially by someone who is still a child in their eyes.

armac

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2005
South Texas
Anoop;2868691; said:
A couple years ago I was trying to persuade a mother and a daughter not to buy an oscar and a common pleco for a 10g. She insisted that the fish would only grow to the size of the tank. I told her that was called stunting and she said that was rubbish and bought them anyway.

Man, my dream is to open up an lfs, so I could actually educate people about what fish can go where. Not what fish looks good where.

Too bad you got kicked off American Idol Anoop, maybe you can spend more time in the Petsmart now, giving out GREAT advice.:D

boxerfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Richmond, VA
I had something happen like that not too long ago. Was in this petstore that used to be good with fish years ago. Inexperienced employee told this woman and her daugther that she could put a small parrot cichlid in a 5 gallon tank.... with other fish!!!! I tried not to pry put finally burst out and told woman that not only was tank to small but parrot may kill the danios she was looking to put them in with. She acted like she cared but ended up buying the fish anyway.

Sometimes this makes you wanna just bust up in the store and confiscate all their inventory. THey don't deserve to sell animals.

azn_boy AKA fish freak

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2008
new south wales, Australia
this happened to me oncne i was just a the lfs then this father comes in his looking around for fish for his 30g tank i over hear tehm he said he currently has a school of guppies in his tank and he want to buy a flowerhorn for the tank as the assistant walks away to get the net i tell him you shouldnt buy this fish it will kill all ur existing fish and any way it will out grow the tank he says to me i know what im doing im like are you sure his like of course im know what im doing i kept fish longer then you have then i say if you kept longer tehn me then why are you buying that fish then he start swearing at me so i just left

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
I don't even bother telling people now. People are going to do what they want to do. Rarely are you able to convince them otherwise.

cichlid2006

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2008
Fife - Scotland
i dont talk direct to people anymore but i make out im talking to the wife when i mention about a fishes size or aggressiveness that isnt mentioned on the label above the display tank. i do it in a subtle way and its funny how ive seen more people walk away than when i talked direct to them.

sandman503

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2009
oregon
i hear this at my LFS all the time, i learned my lesson long ago and just keep my mouth shut. no one will want to listen to you.

black_sun

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2008
New Jersey
Wow, so many people really don't listen to you all? It's not like you'd be saying something that didn't make sense, so why wouldn't someone listen if the advice sounded remotely reasonable? X_x

Every time I'm in my local Petco/Petsmart/Etc for plants and basic maintenance stuff, I dish out advice if I know something that applies. More often than not the employees actually hand a customer over to me and/or listen themselves. And I may be older than most of the employees, but I'm so baby-faced most people think I'm 14 or 15 (which sucks by the way lol) and they still listen.

The only trouble I've ever had is with the manager (Petco), who is content to blow his stack and yell 'till he turns red in the face on a regular basis because I'm stopping "potential" sales. But the angry little man hardly phases me and I suspect yelling that you're only about sales and not the animal's welfare in a pet store in front of customers is eventually going to bite him in the arse.

birmansandbettas

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2009
the nuthouse
An earnest teenager trying to help isn't that hard to distinguish from a doof who's just mouthing off. I'd be thankful for good advice from someone no matter what their age. Too bad the fish will pay for the guy being a cocky moron.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store