Mekong giant catfish vs Arapaima gigas.

tiddlywinks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
las vegas
gigas12;3007370; said:
Hi,yes I agree its a toss up,some say the Mekong Catfish others say the arapaima,wels catfish,and alligator gar,and there are a few more on the list.
ghost shrimp!!

chloe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2008
portsmouth/southampton/crawley, UK
mekong and arapaimas ae gooorgeous...a stugeon annnd piraracu lol
all legendary in my eyes lol
x

RiverMonsterHunter

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2010
LikeYouNeedToKnow
peewee;3786757; said:
some sturgeons my exceed 15 feet.
Yes sturgeons can but they are not freshwater,they live in it but their whole life isnt. I wonder why people are bringing these fish up,lets stay on the mekong and arapaima. or else it would be called monster freshwater fish thread

syndicate

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
Freshwater sawfish (Pristis microdon)

Listed as Vulnerable under the EPBC Act
Occurs mostly in fresh or brackish rivers in northern Australia, sometimes more than 100km inland.
Grows to at least 280cm
Biggest freshwater fish in Australia

Acheloos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2008
Germany
bestiarium.kryptozoologie.net
RiverMonsterHunter, there are indeed sturgeons which spent their whole life in the freshwater. There are some smaller species which always live in freshwater, but there are some bigger species too. There are for example populations of the white sturgeon which are not anadromous and don´t wander to the sea at all, but life exclusively in freshwater. They are a bit smaller than their anadromous relatives, but still quite large.

pelleeklund

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
I always thought of the giant mekong catfish as the reigning champ but that's just a guess. I'm sure there are freaks far exceeding the largest caught of both species, on the other hand, many more much smaller. The mekong just seems to have the combination of length with girth to me.

Acheloos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2008
Germany
bestiarium.kryptozoologie.net
No, if you look at the actual confirmed dates, the mekong catfish is not the longest one. Giant freshwater stingrays are undoubtly longer, as well as chinese paddlefish, even if you only count confirmed records and not the old bigfishstories. The largest wels are also confirmed to have reached a bit more length than the largest confirmed mekong catfish, even if this are mainly some centimetres. It is possibly the heaviest, but surely not the longest. And there are actually no good reasons to think that there are freaks which are much larger than the largest one which were ever caught. At the best, they could be a little bit bigger, but not by far.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store