Memorial Pond

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
As it gets so cold there maybe focus on building in lots of insulation or even put a polytunnel type green house over your pond in the winter.
We have a few things we are thinking about.

Deeper- obviously our frostline can get pretty low and 4 1/2ft won’t cut it.

More heaters- the one was still working after getting Incase’s in ice numerous times. But it’s the fact that it’s getting encased in ice period that’s a problem.

I think I made a huge mistake placing the bubblers on the bottom of the pond. I think it may have super cooled the water just aiding in the problem. So a bubbler right under the ware surface next time.

A top built from wood that can withstand snow cover. I might place wood beams in the ground to anchor the top frame to so wind won’t have a chance to move it. We both wanted a greenhouse for it, but with our high winds we haven’t found anything that would be able to withstand them. So building something short and strong I think will be our only option for a cover.

I want to use vinyl for windows. It’s much thicker then plastic. Or maybe acrylic now that I think about it.

Even with all that I’m not sure I’m 100% positive another winter like this wouldn’t be fatal. Building an indoor pond in one of our sheds is another option we are exploring. It might be a safer option. I hate moving koi around when they start getting big, but it will be worth it if it’s our only way to protect them.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Update on progress
I’ve only been able to remove 8 so far.
My two biggest girls.... I can’t even describe how much it hurt to see them like that. Their bodies look perfect. No signs of parasites, no bacterial infections, no ulcers, sigh. They suffocated and froze to death. It makes me so angry. They were so big and beautiful.

The rest are in a block of ice.... waiting for it to melt is very frustrating.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Wow so sorry to hear this.. It must be so hard having to wait to collect them one by one day by day. I do not envy you that's for sure. You have my deepest sympathies.

I guess if nothing else you know which mistakes to try and avoid next winter... :(

davemal

Piranha
MFK Member
May 15, 2007
Neath
So sorry about your losses hope you can bounce back from it. Bubblers should be on the bottom, is it possible to pump in warm air? Mine run from a pump in my shed placed over a heater.

Reactions: MrsE88

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Wow so sorry to hear this.. It must be so hard having to wait to collect them one by one day by day. I do not envy you that's for sure. You have my deepest sympathies.

I guess if nothing else you know which mistakes to try and avoid next winter... :(
Yes, I have a list of things to change now. It’s a very hard lesson learned.
Earlier this week we got the last of them out. The pond is now empty.

So sorry about your losses hope you can bounce back from it. Bubblers should be on the bottom, is it possible to pump in warm air? Mine run from a pump in my shed placed over a heater.
The air pump was in the unseated garage, but it would be possible to move it over by the heat lamps in the future. I wonder if that would be enough to make any kind of difference?

At this point we still have a lot to think on for future winters. I still want to make wintering in the pond possible, but we will need a better way to heat and cover then.

• Sad
Reactions: Kittiee Katt

davemal

Piranha
MFK Member
May 15, 2007
Neath
Yes, I have a list of things to change now. It’s a very hard lesson learned.
Earlier this week we got the last of them out. The pond is now empty.

The air pump was in the unseated garage, but it would be possible to move it over by the heat lamps in the future. I wonder if that would be enough to make any kind of difference?

At this point we still have a lot to think on for future winters. I still want to make wintering in the pond possible, but we will need a better way to heat and cover then.
[/QUOTcover and insulate, then ANY heat you can add is a bonus. You got it colder than us I think... My pond didn't freeze when we had -15 coz I had 3* 4" polystyrene over it. Keep positive and I hope you can get around the problems you have had

davemal

Piranha
MFK Member
May 15, 2007
Neath
Horrible to have a total loss. I use 4" polystyrene sheets, 2 layers and my pond never freezes. We only drop to -10 last few years though. Any heat you can add will be a bonus though

Reactions: MrsE88
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store