metal halide distance from glass

ali12345

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2007
uk
Hi,
I am just putting an aquamedic 150 w metal halide on my tank. It says 30cm away from the water in the leaflet. To do that will be tough so I wondered if that clearance is really necessary. Mine will be half that.
How far above the glass does everyone have their metal halides?
thanks
alison

cchhcc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Firstly, if the halide gets wet at all you're in for a huge disaster. That's one of the reasons for the 1 foot of clearance.

Regarding glass, I have broken a 3/4" glass brace by leaving a halide on the glass cross brace on a tank.

Halides are best in open top conditions and with plenty of clearance. There are many better choices for most situations. So, unless you have a reef that requires high intensity light, you can use one of many other cooler running, easier to position options.

ali12345

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2007
uk
Hi,
thanks but I already have the light - the tank is 3ft deep so really needs a good light. I cannot hang anything from the ceiling, so that is my main stumbling block.
Alison

reefman

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
In front of my tanks
ali12345;2250777; said:
Hi,
thanks but I already have the light - the tank is 3ft deep so really needs a good light. I cannot hang anything from the ceiling, so that is my main stumbling block.
Alison
just make a high canopy but u need fans in it halides throw off a lot of heat

ali12345

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2007
uk
cchhcc;2251024; said:
You can get hangers that mount on the back of the tank and hang the light over it.
Where would you get those? I've seen some that hang off the hall but the tank is 12" from the wall.
Alison

ali12345

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2007
uk
cchhcc;2250750; said:
Firstly, if the halide gets wet at all you're in for a huge disaster. That's one of the reasons for the 1 foot of clearance.

Regarding glass, I have broken a 3/4" glass brace by leaving a halide on the glass cross brace on a tank.

Halides are best in open top conditions and with plenty of clearance. There are many better choices for most situations. So, unless you have a reef that requires high intensity light, you can use one of many other cooler running, easier to position options.

As I said I'm stuck with the MH but need another light for the other end of the tank. Would t5 be the best option. Got loads of old t8 but don't want to use them.
Alison

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store