Methods to Break Rays to New/Other Foods

RayFanatic2014

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2014
Mount Prospect, Illinois
This is a big help. Right now my ray only eats silver sides and night crawlers. I'm trying to get him to eat some shrimp. So far he only checks it out then discards it by simply swimming over it. I will try this and let you know how it goes. Thanks. This is the reason I joined this site. Knowledge for my favorite hobby.

Bdatj

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2015
Bermuda
It's been 3 week an my ray isn't eating he only had ghost shrimp once I trying pellets shrimp frozen brye shrimp n dry no luck it's been 2 weeks before last meal hellp

Jamie91

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2015
Hi guys, I have a 6" hystrix, the seller had him on worms and prawns. Since being in my tank he won't touch prawns only earth worms, he's gaining weight nicely, he's really chubby. How long should I starve for? Tia

Charliea36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2017
How small should i cut up the shrimp and fish for a ray to eat? I gave her a few pieces about the size of a quarter and it seems like shes interested just nibble and then plays with the food. I am currently getting off of black worms so its hard to see if the piece is too big or if shes just not interested in the food. I have the food soaked in black worm too

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
i'm currently trying to get my rays to take massivore, they are eating fish and prawns.
should i just continue to try to feed them massivore without other foods?
or can i try 2 days massivore, then 1-2 days frozen fish or prawn, then go back to massivore?
or do i have to be consistent on only dropping massivore for them.
I soaked the massivore in bloodworms but so far they just glide over it.
only once did one of the female seem to chew on it.

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
i'm currently trying to get my rays to take massivore, they are eating fish and prawns.
should i just continue to try to feed them massivore without other foods?
or can i try 2 days massivore, then 1-2 days frozen fish or prawn, then go back to massivore?
or do i have to be consistent on only dropping massivore for them.
I soaked the massivore in bloodworms but so far they just glide over it.
only once did one of the female seem to chew on it.
Not any real advantage to feeding massivore or any other pellets for that matter. I've done a ton of research on this and talked with other successful ray owners/breeders. Frozen is they way to go....cleaner, no filler. Rays seem to prefer it also. Soak cut tilapia, market shrimp, and squid in a vitamin solution like seachem nourish for a while, then bag everything up in sandwich bags pressed flat and freeze. Works great!!

Reactions: Charliea36

Charliea36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2017
Not any real advantage to feeding massivore or any other pellets for that matter. I've done a ton of research on this and talked with other successful ray owners/breeders. Frozen is they way to go....cleaner, no filler. Rays seem to prefer it also. Soak cut tilapia, market shrimp, and squid in a vitamin solution like seachem nourish for a while, then bag everything up in sandwich bags pressed flat and freeze. Works great!!
I already got my ray on the same diet and it works great. Took me an hour cutting and prepping everything but i have a supply of food for at least 4 months.

Reactions: Bigfishnut
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store