Mexican Arboreal alligator lizard!

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
coura;4148520; said:
Yours shure look healty. Regarding the color changes I may be able to help you, in basilisks and water dragons it happens just that and you can reverce it by feeding carotenoid rich foods to the feeder insects (carrots, dark leafy greens). Your idea of using field insects is a great one if you can get them from a uncontaminated source.

I actually did an experiment years ago when I bred Plumed Basilisks. I kept half of the babies I hatched one summer indoors under artificial light and the other half outdoors in natural sunlight. Both groups were fed the same items. In the early fall/late summer the outdoor group was brought indoors. When compared with the indoor group they were all a very bright lime green. The ones kept indoors were a blueish green almost mint coloration. So I think natural sunlight has something to do with it when it comes to some reptile species and I agree that the diet plays a big role too.

shells-n-scales

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2007
Deep South Texas
here are some final setup pics (still need more plants), but you can see the two large cages for our adult pairs, and the smaller ones house 1 individual subadult animal. I have 1 more housed in a similar cage in another room (didnt have enough space in the bedroom)

I'll get some better side by side comparsion pics as soon as the wife wakes up. (I cant hold the camera and then two squirming lizards and take pictures all at one time). But anyhow.. yeah Crocodile skinks werent a good example for size comparison. I'd say more like Fire Skinks... yeah... males are around 12-13" long and bulky.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store