MFK GARMY - Report Thyne Gar

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
Everyone list your gars! We'll start keeping track of who has what. The more detail you feel like giving, the better! (including tank size, diet, compatibility, etc). I can start another thread for photos, let's keep this one mostly for lists and statistics so it doesn't get moved to the media lounge.

Gargonauts assemble...

Pejelajarto: 83 (35 @ home, 48 @ labs)
e_americanus: 63 (15 @ home, 48 @ labs)
RedDwarf: 14
Madding: 14
simeonchambers: 12
pharmaecopia: 12
Connor: 8
exiton: 7
headbanger_jib: 6
xander: 5
screaminleeman: 5
Ancient_Fish_Master: 5
Lepistoseus platyrhincus: 4
UncleClyde: 4
Hao: 4
demjor19: 4
smartlove518: 4
Wiggles92: 4
KnifefishFan: 3
vaipulu: 3
RyanK: 3
tnaylorj: 3
geraldstinson: 3
Vulkan: 3
pwmin: 3
kolstix: 3
flamenco-t: 2
LBathory: 2 (for sale!)
bahamaqt00: 2
scalesandfins: 2
yo_fish_boi: 2
mrwinkle: 2
LandRover: 2
KNH: 2
MonsterMinis: 2
siôn.griffin: 2
mtqtandy: 2
mikedelta: 2
NocturnalX: 1
sbuse: 1
Giruvin: 1
Ego Sum Lupus: 1
Hoyo12: 1
fishtex: 1 (trying to rehome it!)
BlackShark11k - 1
jsodwi: 1
rostratusgar: 1
msjinkzd: 1
Divasen: 1
TomioEndlicheri: 1
vinsa4: 1
USMCtanker: 1
kevinfleming21: 1
dirtbikerider: 1
jus243: 1
kr0wn: 1
Egon: 1
bichir84: 1
creepyoldguy:1

From the headcount on 29th Dec, 2010, there are 59 Gargonauts & 317 gars in the MFK Garmy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
[FONT=&quot]I'll go first. My gars are all listed below. Two of them I have paid for but they have not yet been shipped to me. More details to follow.

Total - 7 Gar

--

“Captain Incus”

Florida Gar
Lepisosteus platyrhincus

--

“Sir Aurum”

Xanthic (Golden) Florida Gar
Lepisosteus platyrhincus

--

“Colonel Latus”

Spotted Gar
Lepisosteus oculatus

--

“General Tomus”

Shortnose Gar
Lepisosteus platostomus

--

“Lieutenant Osseus”

Longnose Gar
Lepisosteus osseus

--

“Admiral Osu”

Longnose Gar
Lepisosteus osseus

--

“Commander Picus”

Tropical Gar
Atractosteus tropicus

--

- Michael
[/FONT]

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
Total of 6 gar right now (I had as many as 9 recently, but had two deaths and traded one of them for a lapradei bichir). My fiance named one of the Florida gars...

3x Shortnose gars, 14", 17", 18"

2x Florida gars, 15-16", 18", "Garfield" and "Garzilla"

1x Spotted Gar, 12"

These are currently in a 125g (72"Lx18"Wx22"T) tank, with black sand substrate and a large "tree" of driftwood in the middle of the tank. Tankmates are a couple medium catfish, and some cichlids (I know, I'm a bad gar keeper! But they get along just fine). The tank is filtered by a 30g sump with filter sock and pot scrubbies, and has about 1,500gph turnover rate.

They will soon be upgraded to a 220g (72"Lx30"Wx24"T) tank that will give them much more space to stretch out. This tank will also probably have a sand bottom, although I think I'm going to go with pool filter sand rather than Tahitian moon sand this time (its a lot cheaper!). This tank will be filtered by a 50g sump with filter socks and pot scrubbies, and will also have a 1,500gph turnover rate.

I am also thinking about adding 1 or more of the shortnose gars to my 3,500g pond in the back yard, which is 15'Lx7'Wx3-4'D. There are lots of feeders in there for them, and I was kind of curious to see how they would fare out there. But I haven't decided on that yet...

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
Nice Connor!

--

My shortnose and spotted are sharing a 56g wide grow-out tank right now with two other small tankmates. They are both around 6" long.

The rest of my gar (minus the gold and trop, which are on their way) are in a 150g 4'x2'x30" tank. My florida and one of my longnose are both around 12" long, and my other longnose is around 10" long. Tankmates in the 150 are a conglomeration of fish (black arowana, african arowana, american datnoid, marbled pim catfish, + more, and a fly river turtle).

My 500g 8'x4'x25" tank is arriving tomorrow and should be set up hopefully within a week or so. Most of the fish in the 150g will be moving to the bigger tank, and the two gars in the 56g will be moving to the 150g to continue their growing out.

--

The golden gar will be around 10-12", and the tropical gar around 18".

- Michael

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
<- Uber jealous!

500g tank with sweet dimensions, gold gar, trop gar, ln gar, UGH!

I like my shorties though. Its amazing how much they've relaxed since I first got them (i've lost 3 total to deaths and 1 I traded). The three left are all pretty chill, except the one that likes to jump if I leave a lid off the tank...

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
dont know how many times i've tried starting these kind of threads. nvm, i'll chip in this one too!

here's the link to the old one. maybe we can get some stuff frm there over here too. it's interesting to see how much the tanks have changed since then.

Tank
-5x3x2 (lxwxh)-filtered by an eheim 2260. contains 10l biomedia, 5l mechmedia & a micron 200.
-water change is 25-50% weekly, depending on how much i feel is necessary.
-pH is stable at 7.5
-temp is at 27-28degC
-*i use crushed coral sand as substrate to mantain the stable pH that the cubans need.
-** i keep my tank decor to a minimum and at the lower levels of the tank to allow my gars maximum swimming area. as they are quite large i don't feel such a great need for cover. however, with younger specimens adequate cover is advisable for them to feel secure...and avoid back breaking incidences..

Fish
- are fed a handful of hikiri sticks daily. once a week they get a half kg of shrimp. from time to time they get feeders.
-* I included the length of time that the fish were kept for and reason(if applicable) any fish was removed from the tank. reason being that a lot of people will look at a combo/pic, see a gar with a pleco/oscar/crocodile & go "hey, he can do it...so can i!"...without realising that these combos often result in injury/fatality sooner or later.

Gar
- 3x 23-25" Cuban gar (2 of which are some of the original fishes from when i started this tank)
- 25" longnose gar (been living peacfully in this tank for about 4 months)
- 2x 12-21" florida gar (have been successfully living in the tank for 4 months and 1 month respectively)

tankmates

- 2x 11-14" poly lapradei (one of which was introduced to the tank at the same time as the 2 cubans above)
- 7" poly endlicheri (been in the tank for 2 days)
- 7" channa pleurothalma (been living in the tank for roughly 3 months)

past tankmates (advisable)
- various species of gars from 10" - 18" (had many of them for varying periods of time. i had no issues with any of them)
- a number of african arowana ranging in size from 10" to 18" (kept these fish with the gars for 3-6months. aside from some of the smaller specimens getting shredded, no accidents to cause any real worry)
- a number of polypterus species, varying from 10" to 18". (Never had any issues)

past tankmates (dubious - poor)
- 12" barramundi (dubious, kept for less than 3months, repeatedly stole food out of gars mouths, causing them to dart off)
- 12" oscar (outright bad idea,kept for 1 day, outright aggression displayed to my cubans)
- 12-15" orino bass (dubious, kept for less than 5 months, sudden dashes causing gars to follow suit, boisterous feedings occasionally caused gars to dart off)
- 15" goliath atf (poor, constant spazzing caused the gars to follow suit)

future plans & planned tankmates
-i have a 6x3x2.5 planned for them in the near future...and am going to throw in a long list of dubious tankmates that i will likely be unmercilessly desecrated for...:nutkick::footinmou

the tank 6 months ago...looks pretty much the same..but with more gar. will add a more recent pic soon

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
for the record..i dont have fixed names for my gars.

of the original pair (of cubans), one has been called serena, then selena.

the other had been called bastrad, now it's nameless.

the new one is loosely and affectionately refered to as "that fat bastard"

my new florida is called "that dam nice one"

a friends florida that's being housed at my place is called "that greedy bastard"

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
xander;4289529; said:
dont know how many times i've tried starting these kind of threads. nvm, i'll chip in this one too!
I don't know why they don't take off here. Maybe not enough gar keepers. I like the lists like these in the other sections. I'll try to keep this one constantly updating and even steal the list technique from the Polypeople. ;)

Gar Totals:

xander: 6
Connor: 6
Madding: 5 (+2 incoming)
LBathory: 2 (for sale!)

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
Forever jealous of your cubans by the way, Alex...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store