micro-terrarium

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Hi guys! There is a restaurant near me that serves their food in glass globes with a flat bottom. Diameter is probably 6-7”. Is there anything I could do with this? Maybe some sort of isopod or spider I could keep? I definetly want to plant it.

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
Does the restaurant allow you to just take the globe/bowl home? My main concern would be any food residue from anything extensively oily or whatnot, as it could be difficult to remove. Disregarding that, I would personally be a bit hesitant to establish an isopod colony in it, mainly due to its small size and open top; the overall environment would be fairly unstable as a result and most high-end species wouldn't do very well, although some native Porcellio or Armadillidium species (possibly Porcellionides as well) could survive. Not too sure about spiders, but I'm pretty sure they'd escape rather easily. Do you have any pics of the globe?

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
It is made of plastic, and they do allow you to take it home. It is not open-topped, it has a lid. If nothing works out would a couple springtails be fine?

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
It is made of plastic, and they do allow you to take it home. It is not open-topped, it has a lid. If nothing works out would a couple springtails be fine?
A springtail colony should do quite well, provided that they have sufficient humidity and food. Hardy isopod species (P. laevis, P. scaber, Porcellionides pruinosis, Cubaris murina, Armadillidium natsatum, etc) will probably be alright given that there's sufficient leaf litter and cover; A. klugii, A. vulgare, and A. maculatum are also common isopod species that could survive.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store