Microchiping a gar

Kingdoffishcraft

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Hi y'all!
I was wondering if anyone has any experience in microchiping gars. I wanted to track the growth of a few specimens I'm releasing into my pond so any pointers will be greatly appreciated!!! I would like to know the general location of where to implant the chip which will cause the fish the least amount of discomfort.

FLA

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2017
I haven't done gar but I have done other fish and turtles. If you are using a PIT typically you go in the ventral side back toward the posterior. Get between the scales and enter the body in the anterior direction. Then push the plunger to place the tag. It gets easier if you tranquilize them. MS-222 is expensive, but works well.

Kingdoffishcraft

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
I haven't done gar but I have done other fish and turtles. If you are using a PIT typically you go in the ventral side back toward the posterior. Get between the scales and enter the body in the anterior direction. Then push the plunger to place the tag. It gets easier if you tranquilize them. MS-222 is expensive, but works well.
Thanks for the pointers!!!

FLA

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2017
One thing I forgot to mention is that because gar can gulp air it will take a long time for them to go down with MS-222, be patient but keep an eye on them. This will be an issue with any tranquilizer you use. Air breathing fish are a pain.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store