Micropeltis / Micropletes Growth

MFK GOD

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2008
UNIVERSE
Hey folks,

I'm new here and was surfing through the site and came across this interesting forum. I have caught snakeheads before but never knew they were of such interests.

I was wondering if anyone have the growth rate of a redline snakehead, Micropeltis or Micropeltes (whichever is the correct spelling ;)).
  • How long does it take for a redline to reach 12" from 2-3"?
  • At what length/size or age do they change their color completely to the dark phase with blue/green highlights?
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Ben

gigas12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2008
Boston,Ma.
Hi,from what I remember with my 3 inch micros,it will take about a year and a half to become 12 inches,also varies on feeding.Colore changes a little at time as the grow.About dark and light phase I think that depends from where the fish is located.

myles

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2005
a year and a half to get 12 " ? thats seems kidna slow form what i generaly hear they grow like 2" a month.

tropheus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
many i have kept have taken a year to reach 12-18" mark , i have kept one that grew very quick and reaches 12" in around 6 months

there are many people on here who claim to have even quicker growth than that. so it is probably very variable and more than likley depends a lot on water peramters. a lot of fish grow slower in lower ph / softer water , temp also plays a part on growth rates.

cheers col

MFK GOD

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2008
UNIVERSE
tropheus;2521707; said:
many i have kept have taken a year to reach 12-18" mark , i have kept one that grew very quick and reaches 12" in around 6 months

there are many people on here who claim to have even quicker growth than that. so it is probably very variable and more than likley depends a lot on water peramters. a lot of fish grow slower in lower ph / softer water , temp also plays a part on growth rates.

cheers col
i knew about the temperature factor...didn't know about the pH factor but I can see it...

Can I assume amount of food to play just as an important role? :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store