Midas and Pictus update

jake renouard

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2017
Hey all just an update on my 8 month old Midas and his friends. He’s about 8 inches now, 4 pictus are in the tank as well each about 5-6 inches. Let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions for the tank, aquascape or any of it! Thanks!!

DA480517-B951-411B-AEA3-E5F947C14809.jpeg

A26DE152-220D-4AD5-85FC-094BD69397AA.jpeg

jake renouard

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2017
55, I have a 113 gallon he will eventually go into with 2 Jack Dempsey, a Texas, a 1 foot long Raphael cat and about an 8 inch sail fin syanosontis cat. I’m not sure he will tolerate the other cichlids but he doesn’t mind catfish. It may end up being just him and a bunch of catfish lol I’d be ok with that though bc he’s gunna keep getting bigger and his colors are insane. Def a poster type fish to build a tank around. Thoughts?

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Thats great youve been able to keep it with tankmates so far. I tried several different combinations with my midevil but nothing really worked.

I would be careful putting it in with other cichlids. Its quite possible that just being in proximity with other territorial fish will make the midas more aggressive towards anything and everything, maybe even turn on the catfish eventually.

Post up some pics of that raphael! It must be ancient.

Travis_Bickle

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2015
Uk
Well, the time i took my 10" Amphillophus Sagittae out of his 65G and popped him in my 130G with other cichlids to see how he would do it wasn't good. My 9" Braziliensis and my 7" Jack Dempsey who were in mid tussle themselves stopped what they were doing, turned a funny color and headed for the corners of the tank. The JD, a beautiful blue spangled fish literally went white. That was just the mere sight of this beast of a fish swimming amongst them. The other fish all gave him a wide berth too, a couple of hours later he was pushing and chasing most of them around until i took him back out and put him back in his 65G. After a while he grew to a point where he was too big for that tank so i traded him.

I've had other experiences with Red Devil complex that haven't appeared to be causing too much trouble but then upon switching the lights on in the morning i've noticed several other fish have scales missing.

In my experience these guys are about the most violent and destructive i've come across and there aren't too many i haven't tried. They're quite possibly my favourite, but i've given up trying to keep them.

Reactions: Jexnell

jake renouard

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2017
Thanks for the advice! Here is a pic of the Raphael 3 years ago when I got him at like 8inch. I would guess he’s about 6-8 yrs old atleast!

E70DF641-49DD-43F0-88DC-99A837747F4E.jpeg

Reactions: Jexnell

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I am quite shocked that he has not torn up them pictus.
I have tried all different kinds of fish with my Sagittae and he either tormented to death or strait out ate it over night.
I tried armored plecos, he relentlessly dug out his cave till he could fit in and harass the pleco.
I got 6 four inch Spanner barbs and over night he ate 5 of them.
He has killed off a total of 3 wife's a brother and chased his other brother out of the water. So what ever you are doing, keep it up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store