Midas Cichlid Info

BlueKiller82

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
Massachusetts
I have become Fond of the Amphilophus Citrinellus (Midas). I was curious as to how aggressive these guys are and what peoples experiences are having tankmates with them. Males more aggressive than females?
How large of a tank do they require and is it possible to have more than one in a tank?
Also could any of my current stock live in harmony with them?

I was thinking of restocking my current tank or setting up a 90 gal, not sure yet though.

Look forward to hearing lots of info and experiences!! Thanks.

---XR---

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2006
Pa
if your looking for a true citrinellus, than don't get your at a LFS, they are mostly hybrid Red devil "amphilophus labiatus"X midas's. -try a specialty importer like rapps or fishfarm.

midas both males and female grow max out at around 14-16". many have great personalitys (better and more personable than most cichlids) but many tend to be somewhat aggresive to tankmates. i have seen very succesful large tanks with strickly midas in them 6-8 in 180-240's.

a single male or female would do fine in a 90.

cichlidinsomniac

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2007
Tampa
great fish, grow fast, most are highly aggressive, intelligent, very owner responsive, they make excellent wet pets, but like xr stated u most like wont be getting a true midas if you get if from a lfs, check out rapps he has barred and colored juvies, my advice would be to by a few and choose the one you like best when they get larger or just go for one of the wild ones

BlueKiller82

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
Massachusetts
Thanks guys, I had planned to order from Either Rapps or FishFarm as I had heard of the crossed ones stores like petsmart are selling. I also thought about getting about 4 of them letting them grow and possibly keeping 1-2, depending on how many i can keep in one tank.

Whats the bare minimum for a pair?

I have heard of convicts living with them, do you think my Honduran Redpoints could also live with one having suitable hiding? Any other recommendations on Tankmates?

Thanks Again.

Dasmopar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2005
if you get a male and a female they are going to breed. If they breed they are not going to let anything in the tank with them including your hand, syphon tube, ect . lol I say do it man. I have had red devils before and they are very cool pets. I have been able to keep females together but males will fight to the death in a small tank like a 75 if there is a female to fight over.

cornbread_5

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2007
connecticut
other cichlid around the same aggression level and size also i would raise them up together when they small, you could try a losseli or freddy, maybe a texas, true true red terror , along that line

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
Tankmates probally depend on tank size....

I had a little guy (4") w/ a Texas, pair of cons, Fla. gar, and a couple of small cats in a 90. Didn't work and got rid of the RD after about a week of terror. I have seen them the exact opposite and do quite well w/ other large Cichlids and even a tank of Tinfiols and SD's. If you are looking to get a pair the will best in a solo tank...

BlueKiller82

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
Massachusetts
Seems like it would be a hit or miss on the tankmate part then. It wont be for a couple months but im just trying to get all the info i can on them before purchasing.

Are they a messy fish, like oscars are messy pigs?

Thanks!!

big dovii

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2007
Edmonton, AB, Can
imo dont put anything with a midas,
i had one in my 230 and he would fight and destroy almost everthing
except for my 16" jag who couldnt even keep him in its place.
they seem to make a mess of everything

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store