Midas Cichlid Mates?

JackDempseyLove

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2011
Kansas
Hello, I have a 8-10" male Midas cichlid. I have had him since he was a inch or so and at first he was skittish but once he got older he got more aggressive like a typical midas. But I love him to death he has so much personality and is gorgeous. Recently he has been digging nests and I was told he was ready to breed. Well I want some of his little babies but I do not have a female. I tried a 6" female Red Devil a few months ago but he killed her:(. I guess my question is.. What size and what species of female do I need to be able to survive with him and breed? I am open to any kind of species, I kinda wanted a mix but I a pure midas is good too.

Thanks;)

cichlid_starter

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2009
Indianapolis
In that case, it dosnt matter what you put in there. The Midas will probably kill it because he wants the space to himself. #brosbeforehoes. I have a 6" piebald RD in a 75 and he won't allow ANYTHING in there with him other than my royal pleco.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

JackDempseyLove

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2011
Kansas
I can put him in a larger tank for breeding if that is what is needed that is not a problem I just need to figure out what he will breed with and wht size.

cichlid_starter

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2009
Indianapolis
125gal minimum to stick him with anything else but I've seen tons of Midas mixes so I think with an upgrade all you really need to do is find a female that's similar size and aggression that you Midas will tolerate.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
try to upgrade like you said and put the female in in there first for about a week let her get comfortable with her new home then put him in with her she should defend her tank at first then get used to him, or they might just kill each other its always a gamble . try a female his size or a little bigger

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store