Midas pair with convicts?

zimmy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2010
Toronto, Canada
My 8 foot 240G tank presently has three midas cichlids (a pair and an extra male). The subdominant male gets chased by the alpha regularly so I'm planning to rehome him soon. Was thinking of doing some rehardscaping and adding a convict cichlid pair. What are the chances of that working? Would love to hear from anyone who has tried it.

Reactions: ..puSkar..

Ashton Turner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2021
just make sure they have a lot of places to hide ... also one tip, you don't need to worry about feeding the convicts too much as midas are messy eaters, so when they eat some of the food will past out there gill therefore feeding the convicts.
have a good day :)

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
With enough hiding spots it should be fine. Just be wary that if the convicts get on the midas’s bad side, it would have no trouble killing them.

Reactions: Ashton Turner

Ashton Turner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2021
true but a breeding pair of convicts are extremely aggressive as they started to pick on a jagovii that dws darius has.. but now the pair are out.. small but fiesty ;)

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
true but a breeding pair of convicts are extremely aggressive as they started to pick on a jagovii that dws darius has.. but now the pair are out.. small but fiesty ;)
That is my point though. Cons can be too nasty. A one inch guy I had thought it would be smart to take on an 8 inch leporinus…and subsequently died.
I have no doubt cons can handle themselves with a Midas, but with any aggressive fish there is a risk. Buying the cons near full grown will help their odds though.
Welcome to the forum by the way!

..puSkar..

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2020
You could do it . If I remember correctly dan518 dan518 or Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 had a similar setup .

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store