Mini crash in cycle

fishRstressful

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2019
We lost power for about 10 hours and it caused the cycle to crash in my 70 gallon. Some of the BB is still there but I now have ammonia and nitrites again.

Ammonia: .5ppm
Nitrite: between .25 and .50 (sometimes I can’t judge the color. ) It’s closer to the .25 though
Nitrates: 5.0ppm

Ever since I realized what happened, I’ve been doing 50% water changes. Then adding prime. This brings ammonia to .25ppm and Nitrites to 0ppm.

I check the tank periodically and when I notice certain fish breathing hard, I check the water parameters. It’s usually the ammonia that will have gone up to .50ppm again. Nitrites will usually be 0. I did feed them (I have bichirs and I was worried if I didn’t feed them, that other fish might start to look appealing. And sushi isn’t on the menu). So now my nitrites are up to the ~.25 mark. Prior to feeding, I had zero nitrite for about 6 hours.

My question is.. I have Fritzyme 700. Had my husband go get it since he’s the one who forgot to pay the electric bill. ?.

It says the bacteria in it will utilize the ammonia and nitrites. Usually I only use this stuff to expedite a fish less cycle. So I add Prime to negate the chlorine and then add ammonia.

But since my fish are already in the tank and my water parameters are what I listed.. Do I

1) Do another 50% water change. Add prime. Add fritzyme?

OR

2) Do NO water change and just add the fritzyme? Since my last water changes was at 8am. And prime was added then. And let the Fritzyme utilize the existing ammonia and nitrites?

Thanks folks ❤

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
We lost power for about 10 hours and it caused the cycle to crash in my 70 gallon. Some of the BB is still there but I now have ammonia and nitrites again.

Ammonia: .5ppm
Nitrite: between .25 and .50 (sometimes I can’t judge the color. ) It’s closer to the .25 though
Nitrates: 5.0ppm

Ever since I realized what happened, I’ve been doing 50% water changes. Then adding prime. This brings ammonia to .25ppm and Nitrites to 0ppm.

I check the tank periodically and when I notice certain fish breathing hard, I check the water parameters. It’s usually the ammonia that will have gone up to .50ppm again. Nitrites will usually be 0. I did feed them (I have bichirs and I was worried if I didn’t feed them, that other fish might start to look appealing. And sushi isn’t on the menu). So now my nitrites are up to the ~.25 mark. Prior to feeding, I had zero nitrite for about 6 hours.

My question is.. I have Fritzyme 700. Had my husband go get it since he’s the one who forgot to pay the electric bill. ?.

It says the bacteria in it will utilize the ammonia and nitrites. Usually I only use this stuff to expedite a fish less cycle. So I add Prime to negate the chlorine and then add ammonia.

But since my fish are already in the tank and my water parameters are what I listed.. Do I

1) Do another 50% water change. Add prime. Add fritzyme?

OR

2) Do NO water change and just add the fritzyme? Since my last water changes was at 8am. And prime was added then. And let the Fritzyme utilize the existing ammonia and nitrites?

Thanks folks ❤

What other types of fish do you have in the aquarium beside the Bichirs? I personally would just keep doing partial wc's and don't feed the fish for atleast a couple of days
Retest your parameters and keep doing partial wc's if necessary. If the power goes out again please don't allow the bio media to dry out.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
What other types of fish do you have in the aquarium beside the Bichirs? I personally would just keep doing partial wc's and don't feed the fish for atleast a couple of days
Retest your parameters and keep doing partial wc's if necessary. If the power goes out again please don't allow the bio media to dry out.
Personally never used the product Fritzyme so hopefully others with experience will chime in.

fishRstressful

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2019
I was at work when this originally went down. None of my media dried out though. It just didn’t have any oxygen or water running through it for 10 hours.

I have catfish and severums. Specifically a small petricola catfish that I’m afraid could end up as lunch.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I was at work when this originally went down. None of my media dried out though. It just didn’t have any oxygen or water running through it for 10 hours.

I have catfish and severums. Specifically a small petricola catfish that I’m afraid could end up as lunch.

I feed my large Bichir every other day you should be ok skipping a day atleast.

fishRstressful

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2019
I’m just paranoid because in another tank, I believe my delhezi ate a pictus and a petricola. I never found their bodies. They were small. He was well fed. But i guess he got bored one night. He was only 6 inches at the time.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I’m just paranoid because in another tank, I believe my delhezi ate a pictus and a petricola. I never found their bodies. They were small. He was well fed. But i guess he got bored one night. He was only 6 inches at the time.
If you feel at ease feeding them then feed less than normal until parameters stabilize.

Reactions: fishRstressful

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Most bacterias are safe to use with fish. I use microbacter7 and start with fish and have never had an issue. I do find that if you can not dose prime your cycle will go faster. I know prime says it will not effect the biofilter but it binds ammonia and nitrite so I think it renders it useless to the bacteria. Now if you have chlorine in your tap water you will need to figure out the best option for you. I stopped changing water until the cycle was complete. While dosing mb7 never saw really toxic levels so no need. I did notice with using prime a "stalled" or extended cycle. I did and have had a few buckets of aged water on stand by during these times. Chlorine will off gas in about 24hrs. Chloramines will not off gas. Does you city use chloramines?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store