Missing Danios & DIY overflow

fish head )'>

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
S.E. Michigan
it is not pretty, but this is a grow out tank (20gal long) I used a open cell prefilter cylinder sponge over a 6 inch long pipe that fits the bulk head that was ran through a table saw half-way through every 1/4 inch. You can kinda see a bare pipe in the two tanks that are stacked. it spreads out the suction so even the smallest of fish do not seem to get caught up in its pull. It is kinda opposite of a spray bar on a pump return to a tank.

You of course would have to apply it to the DYI over flow.

100_0488.jpg

100_0443.jpg

kitbasher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 30, 2006
Boise, ID
I uploaded a few pictures of my 40 tall community setup. This tank was originally my wifes, until about a year ago when I started to take care of it... over the last year we went from having one fish tank to four active ones and a QT.

Here is the grill I put over the top:

To keep it from gurgling so much I put a hose for an air vent in it:

Here is what it looks like from inside the tank:

Here is the DIY sump:

And here is my answer to a drip tray... and why I could not just pull out my wife's danios:

And the Tee by pass for the setup:

tazzy695

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
michigan
well I would have done one thing different and that is to use a sizer to bump the top up to the 2 inch size before puting the cap on you could then actualy increase your about of water flow through the grill

kitbasher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 30, 2006
Boise, ID
I bought an adapter for 1" to 2" but I am not sure it would have been any more flow. It is a big block of plastic where the 2" section was so shallow I would have to cut off part of the strainer.
I have a second strainer and the adapter. I may have to try it out this weekend.

tazzy695

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
michigan
why would you have to cut off part of the strainer if you put the adapter on you should have been able to just cut the 1" pipe down to make it all level with where you need it again for water level

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store