Mites on my snake, help!

elevatethis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
Provent-a-mite is an awesome treatment when used properly. Not only does it destroy the adult mites present but also protects from reinfestation for about 30 days after the initial treatment.

You basically remove the animal & water bowl, spray down the cage, allow it to completely dry, and then place the water bowl and animal back in it. Works like a charm, I use it religiously with any new additions to my collection.

In the mean time, you can soak the snake itself in a warm bath with a small amount of dish detergent dissolved into it. Mites are resilient to water in that their exoskeleton has a coating that creates surface tension around them when submerged - essentially creating a "bubble" around them that allows them to survive for long periods of time under water. The detergent breaks up the surface tension and actually drowns the mites. This is effective for removing adult mites from the body of the animal, but it does not affect any eggs or mites in the larvae stage of development. That's where Provent-a-mite comes in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store