Mixed exotic pond in Florida

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
The deeper the better. So if you can swing 4' I'd go with that.
Keep the length of the grown fish in mind when deciding on depth. It's so sad watching a big fish trying to eat from the surface when it's tail keeps hitting the ground.

I don't keep native type fish like gar, but I know they get over 2' lol. I keep koi and goldfish. Haha

spencer0t

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2016
Just FYI, the fire mouth will end up being food too. I'd add the smaller fish first, let a colony get established, and then add the press. I would also get ahold of jewel cichlids and live bearers for the same purpose.
so some guppies,swordtails

spencer0t

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2016
Just FYI, the fire mouth will end up being food too. I'd add the smaller fish first, let a colony get established, and then add the press. I would also get ahold of jewel cichlids and live bearers for the same purpose.
so some guppies,swordtails

spencer0t

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2016
I personally would. The fish will feel safer and the water temp will stay more consistent. Shallow water will heat up fast.

I was just curious if there was a reason you wanted it so shallow.
do you think I should put in mosquito fish for mosquito larvae

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
do you think I should put in mosquito fish for mosquito larvae
I don't see why you'd need to. The other fish should keep any larva and bugs in check. Baby fish specifically will eat any bug larva.

FLA

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2017
I really like the idea of this pond, but there are a few things I would change. Deeper is much better I would go with 4'. I agree with the bird issue covering is a great idea. I have seen some really nice welded decorative covers, netting is fine if you don't mind the look. It isn't just ospreys but herons and egrets that can wipe you out in a hurry. I see all the time where a heron doesn't catch very many fish, but puts a hole in half the fish in a pond. Your arowana is a prime candidate for this. If you stick with 2' depth the heron can wade almost anywhere in the pond. Also double check the regs on peacock bass. I have heard Florida LFS saying they are no longer allowed to sell peacocks.

I tend to believe the bowfin will wipe out your cichlids. If it were me I would leave it out. If you really want one then give the firemouths/convicts a year head start so they can put out several spawns before you put something so piscivorous in there. To be honest if you want a small cichlid you will actually see from above I would go with EB Acaras. I also like dovii in ponds, but that changes the dynamic of your pond dramatically. I would also plant anacharis or something else to give heavy cover.

A livebearer isn't a bad idea. I love the native sailfin mollies, or a cool swordtail would be a good choice. Another option for mosquito control are gouramis. If you have heavy enough plant cover in parts you could spawn any of the cheaper gouramis or paradise fish.

The biggest part of a predator prey pond is providing enough cover in parts for a remnant population to always have refuge. you need to do this without taking up the open space from the larger fish, but I think at 10X10 you can do this.

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
a couple double breasted cormorants could clean out that entire stocklist (full grown) in a half hour I saw one bird swallow a fish whole as long as my forearm.-also changes in water temperature which will happen at night will be less drastic with more depth.
A gar can eat more guppies than you could possibly breed in with them. A lagoon area might provide you with an ongoing opportunity to keep producing livebearers. -also a good spot for lotus or grape hyacinth.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store