Mixing Pike Species

What do you think about mixing different pike species in the same tank?

• Yes, I think its alright.

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • No, your askin for trouble.

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • ARE YOU OUTA YOUR FLIPPIN MIND!?!

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
I've noticed that some people have had success mixing different pike species in a couple of their tanks. Some people have argued that putting different groups together will diminish the aggression between the pikes. For instance, puttin Lugubris group pikes with Reticulata group pikes. I personally have had luck keepin several species of Lugubris pikes together in fairly large tanks. Granted, they were all subadult, and there were enough pikes to break up the aggression. Just curious what everyones views on this matter are. Let'er rip!! ;)

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Because pikes can have extremely high conspecific aggression. If you've ever kept pikes you will know what I am talkin about. It can be very frustrating at times to say the least. Some pikes have to be kept solo, while others of the same species are fine with other pikes. Generally though pikes are best when kept as mated pairs and the like.

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
I keep three different species of Lugubris in my 125 community with no problems as of yet. Haven't even seen any signs of aggro towards eachother.

8-8.5" Marm
6-6.5" Johanna
5-5.5" Xingu I

X24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2007
Nebraska
i understand their immense agression, but like all fish, if you can balance their aggression and they have enough room, there is no problem keeping them together.

the question you're asking is like asking do you think its ok to mix different fruits in a smoothie? the answer is always yes uness it tastes bad ;)

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Peanut_Power;942591; said:
They are all juv. to subadult though....;). You think this will still work when they are adults? Why?
Lets just say that Ive got a good feeling about it. The marm shows no aggro towards the smaller Xingu I and it is 3" smaller and is not nearly as robust as her or the Johanna. She actually hangs out with the Johanna under a some root wads that I have. I am leaning toward a male with the Johanna.
It could definitely go wrong as they get older but I am hoping with the other large cichlids in the community that it will keep aggro dispersed.
I am just not seeing any signs of aggro toward eachother.
It would not be the first time that I am wrong though.

chiefmojo

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2005
Illinois
I am currently keeping 2 true strigata and 2 lenticulata in a 300 gallon tank with various other fish in with them as well. You can clearly see the dominent pike of the group. But all seem to coexist fairly well with no extreem aggression towards the other fish as well. They are 9.5" to 10.5" in length. I think with a larger tank you have a much better chance of keeping multiple pikes. I am sure once my group puts on more size they will need alot more than 300 gallons. But as long as you are able to provide the space that they need, i would say try it.

saltydog_1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2006
st louis
chiefmojo lets see some pics i too have a 300 and am dying to know what one should look like (ya know with pikes in it)

Nate77

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2006
Manheim PA
My pikes leave each other alone but pick on everything else non pike.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store