Mixing Weld On 40

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
I have some plastic individual serving containers, can I use these for mixing small batches? Would 40 melt the plastic?
1606318647734.png

born2lovefish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2006
Indianapolis
I have some plastic individual serving containers, can I use these for mixing small batches? Would 40 melt the plastic?
View attachment 1440829
I bought a 25 pack of mixing cups on Amazon with markings on them recently and used them for mixing 100ml of A to 5ml or B for doing the tip and pour method on an used 360 gallon with a 6x4x2’ footprint. I tested the markings on the mixing cups first by measuring out water at the ratios and determined the markings on the cups were slightly off, so I took this into account when using them. Using a timer, I mixed A & B gently for about a minute with a stir stick and then put the cup on an upside down palm sander (no sandpaper) for approximately another 1-2 minutes to bring some of the bubbles to the surface before pouring along the aquarium seam. I found that the mixed #40 did not melt the plastic mixing cups (usually mixed to poured in under 10 minutes).
However, the first time I mixed #40, I used an empty cleaned cottage cheese container and the excess I mixed melted the bottom of the container as it sat at the end of the pot life (approximately 20 minutes).
Also, I bought a 3M respirator and vapor filters off Amazon as well, and suggest using #40 in a well vented area (not inside living space). Hope this helps.

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
I capped the holes in the bottom over 2 weeks ago now. I have not flipped the tank over to fill the holes. Am I risking failure if I don't fill the holes and just fill the tank?

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
It's a 2 part epoxy, not solvent based. So I don't see any reason it wouldn't be fine. I've used similar containers to mix up epoxy for decades.
I mixed and poured 2 weeks ago. If I don't reinforce the holes from the bottom will there be risk of failure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store