moldy/fuzzy eggs. what to do?

icptoke3

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2018
new york
Ebjd x EBJD spawned Saturday. Sunday caught the male eating them so I separated them. Today like this. Any advice?

1525105628515-1425957277.jpg 1525105667073-869931370.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
No discard that batch those eggs are infected.
I meant the next batch add Methylen Blue to help protect eggs if you decide to raise them seperately from the main aquarium the parents are in. Don't treat main aquarium with Methylen Blue it will kill off your live bio bacteria and also will stain silicone ,ornaments, etc.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
That batch of eggs, does look infertile. Probably why he was eating them
Unless, the parents took wrigglers from eggs that may have been fertile, and hid them.
Fertile eggs (from almost all new world cichlids) look like this, kind of cream colored, as opposed to stark white.

Also, if you take eggs away from the parents, you need to have a current of water going near by to simulate the parents fanning eggs, this keeps detritus and fungus from settling on them, even as wrigglers.

notice there is an airstone placed a few inches away from eggs in the PVC cap, and flow from the sumps is also cascading past them.

Reactions: icptoke3

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
you may see cichlid parents 'eating' eggs for various reasons:
1. eating the dead or infertile eggs
2. cleaning the eggs
3. they're new parents and don't know what to do so they eat them
4. they're stressed and eat the eggs because they feel it isn't a safe place to raise the kids
try to leave the eggs and fry with the parents for as long as possible
i try to leave my fry with the parents for 2-3 weeks or more
just till the parents start eating them for no reason

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with hybrid fish, many times, the parents will pick off infertile, or fungus infected eggs, to keep them from infecting others.
And when some eggs are ready to hatch, the parents chew the fry out, and move the wrigglers away from that area, hatched egg shells fungus quickly, and can infect he fry.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store