Momma finally had her baby!

SpeshulEd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Well, it was only 1 pup, but it's healthy and big!

Conception was back on December 15th so after March came and went I was a little worried that I what I saw back in December was nothing and my female was just fat because I was overfeeding her.

This weekend I was doing my weekly water changes on my 3 tanks. I had the female separated and hanging out in my 210, which has become a giant grow-out tank (check out the vid, who keeps koi, geos, and rays together?! - what a mess!). After not having her baby and me thinking she wasn't pregnant, this past weekend I was going to dump her back in the 450 and let the magic happen again.

My water changes take a few hours (210, 450, and 120 - all about 50-75% water changes weekly). I usually get them all draining and then focus my attention on cleaning one, checking filters, etc. This past weekend I got a good deal on tile at Home Depot, so figured it would be as good of time as ever to take the sand out of the 450 and tile the bottom. Sand with the giant fans in the tank, just wasn't working. It always ended up in a pile and then you could see the bottom of the tank which looks dumb since I was too lazy to paint it black when I got the tank.

This project was proving to be a chore and before I knew it the tanks were drained and needed to be refilled. I started refilling the 120 and continued working on the 450. When the 120 was done, it was time to refill the 210. The lights hadn't kicked on yet and I hadn't bothered to turn them on manually so I couldn't really see much within the tank. Then I noticed a small tail next to the python tube...huh!? Flipped on the light and whatta ya know, a baby ray!

She was pregnant for over 4 months, 3/15 - 4/22. The pup is quite healthy and tonight ate some NLS pellets. Feeding the pup is quite difficult. I left the female in the 210 for the week to recover/take it easy before I put her back in the 450 with the male and the "tappin" begins again. The koi, all 15 or so will be going in the pond this weekend as well, but in the meantime the pup is competing for food. I'm currently using a tube to get the food down to where the pup can get it. The pup didn't eat at all yesterday or this morning, but fed her as soon as I got home tonight and she pounced on it. So, I think we're good!

Anyway, I rambled enough, here's the vid:
[YT]15tThpuP0Tg[/YT]

SpeshulEd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Congrats man, the little guy is looking good.
little girl! Think positive thoughts, haha!

I lost the father of this pup back in February when I was out of town on business. If the pup is a female, that means my other male can breed with this pup as well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed I never see claspers!

SpeshulEd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mom went back in the big tank today, time to start the process over.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store