Monkey Goby (Neogobius fluviatilis) in Breeding Colors

vitaly

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2010
www.youtube.com

My monkey or sand goby has died today. Normally, Neogobius fluviatilis don't live past spawning. This guy has spawned before last year and has survived. Two weeks ago, he has changed into this breeding color again. He did not mate with any of the females in the tank and stayed like this for the rest of his life. It's kind of sad to see him go, but it's old age, I suppose. His was part of my Dniester Biotope Project. I caught him out of Dniester River in Tiraspol, Transnistria. Monkey or Sand gobies make great pets. They are very entertaining and fun to watch. The most amazing thing, they can go into any aquarium. By that, I mean, you can put them in marine, brackish, or pure freshwater without any problems. The only bad part, if you live in American colonies, they are illegal to keep. Well, I am sure you can keep them, just don't tell anyone. Otherwise, they'll fine you a lot of money (they are considered an invasive specie)

This is his normal color during the past year

It's amazing how the male monkey gobies change during breeding time. Normally, they are dull gray color. But during mating season they turn this amazing deep black, with golden rim on their dorsal fin.

Another View. I am going to miss this guy

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store