Monster Catfish!

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
You should know better, I am not abandoning you guys unless every catfish in the world dies. I don't think my heart could bear it. lol. I have some things I have to get done then I promise I can become a productive memeber again. Other news I made Staff Sergeant so that means more money for more fish hehehe!!!!!

Pleco-nation

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Some were I dont belong!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congrats on the promotion!!!!
intresting info!!! and its good to see its put in a much more!! shall we say positive light then on the much renowned Planet Catfish, were they like to bash people for keeping big cats instead of teaching the the ups and downs to these big cats!!
as a keeper of many big cats, its good to see!!
just have a question or two??
- are the sizes listed wild caught or actual aquarium raised if not can you find info on the differences!
- and is there a difference between the life span of wild and aquarium raised large cats!!
As a member who keeps many big fish it would also be great to list the different foods each one would be great!! the more we learn the better lifes our big cats live!!!
two thumbs up for a great thread!!!
thanks T.R

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
great list of fish you have pleco. Can you run down the sizes of them for us? As for the sizes I go off of an average for wild caught adults averaged with what most aquarium sites give. I give a range for the adult size instead of a maximum like most places give. Adult sizes vary greatly from fish to fish. There will be some RTCs that will never grow to more than 2 1/2-3ft., but most with proper housing should get to 4ft. + I have personally seen a 5ft rtc in a 300 gal aquarium. Granted he was not in very good condition and had been living in there for about 23 years according to the owner. His tankmate was another rtc of 4ft. They had sores from always being against the glass. The 5ft rtc looked to wiegh at least 80-100 lbs. He raised it from 4 inches from his account. Another thing to look at is the fact that rtc, and other large pims are wild caught for the aquarium trade, some are lab produced, but the vast majority are wild caught thus you should always go from the sizes for wild individuals. The old myth that a fish will only get as big as you let it only goes so far. The fish will get as big as it is genetically programed to get. If properly fed on a varied healthy diet a rtc should in theory be able to get more than 4ft. even if raised in a 4ft tank. Of course we all know it would bust threw the glass way before that. so to end the boredom I have caused I will say that it would be hard to say for certain how big a fish will get in captivity, but it is genetically programed to get a certain size and unless you stunt it, or kill it, it will attain that size, you just need to be one step ahead of it's growth. Also so that you know max size in aquariums is generally smaller cause most people don't know how to properly house a fish like this and end up accidentally killing it before adulthood. I have seen many accounts of people with rtc from 3-5ft. in captivity though if that helps any. Even in the wild it is rare to catch one more than 5ft. So basically it is the same.

amazonfishman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2005
On the Rio Araguaia, I wish...
I would say a Lima is in the works at some point but right now I believe he is working predominately on the larger species of cats, did you decide if you were going to do the Jau yet? Good to see your back online, I did the same thing more or less but for 2 weeks and was busy with school. ~Trent

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
I actually have a few half finished bios that i will work on shortly, but i found it difficult to obtain some of the info i needed for them. I will do the lima eventually, but want to work on larger ones as you said amazon. I have been busy with other projects though. i am currently articulating the skeleton of a flathead catfish for display in my home museum.

Redtail_Watcher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
necrocanis;494355; said:
You should know better, I am not abandoning you guys unless every catfish in the world dies. I don't think my heart could bear it. lol. I have some things I have to get done then I promise I can become a productive memeber again. Other news I made Staff Sergeant so that means more money for more fish hehehe!!!!!
i Thought you die out and dispear, I was wonder about you! lol! but I'm glad to hear your back:) i was just kinda missing your pictures of your hybrid you show off!:j/k: :ROFL:

Redtail_Watcher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
then answer me this, what kinda cat exactly is this? and where is a info on this one... (i'm told that it suppose to be a sub species bumblebee cat.)
View attachment 43883

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
Cephalosilurus fowleri, can't really be 100% from the angle of the pic, but with that protuding lower jaw, and the barbells I am pretty certain. this fish gets to 15-20 inches long, and is very agressive. Best kept alone or with larger aggressive fish. Known to take mice, rats, shrimp, and other large fish as food. Is it yours?

Chad55

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
I would like to throw in a suggestion of marbled catfish/marbled pim. I have one and have been getting conflicting info on the max size. Thanks alot man. Can't wait to see the new ones.

Chad

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store