Monster Loss!

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
I adopted this girl from Yellowcat Yellowcat few years ago. She's quite a girl. Not sure on what was the cause, but I found her passed away when I checked on the fish this morning. She'll be missed

IMG_4474.JPG

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Wow.

Yellowcat Yellowcat Hey Kirk, this is not the apurensis that reached 26"-28", is it? This one looks like 24" if straightened out. But still the biggest I have ever seen.

Sorry to hear, John. Do you have pics and vids of it alive? If it is the one of Kirk's that I am thinking of, I've never seen it after it left his tanks.

Tell us about it John, if you will. What's its story? Tank, tank mates, interactions, diet, likes and dislikes, etc.

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Damn, was a monster for sure, sorry to hear JL

Yellowcat

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
SoCal
Yes it was mine originally, I sold her to John when she grew to around 18" in my 60G tank and had to sell her as as a result. She went to a good home with a great fish keeper with monster size tanks. They are special fish, sorry to hear the news...

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
Wow.

Yellowcat Yellowcat Hey Kirk, this is not the apurensis that reached 26"-28", is it? This one looks like 24" if straightened out. But still the biggest I have ever seen.

Sorry to hear, John. Do you have pics and vids of it alive? If it is the one of Kirk's that I am thinking of, I've never seen it after it left his tanks.

Tell us about it John, if you will. What's its story? Tank, tank mates, interactions, diet, likes and dislikes, etc.
I kept her in a 600-gal with variety of fish like barramundi, Nile perch, rtgg, dovii, bagarius, to datnoid, silver dollar, bass, Aimara... She kept it to herself, but she won't let anyone boss her around. She claimed a corner of the tank for herself. She cruised around the tank at least once a day, definitely during feeding time. She didn't bother anyone when she cruised around the tank, but once she's back to her favorite corner, she won't let any fish get near that corner. She only ate fish, chop up or whole if not longer than 10". On her first year, she occasionally snatched a bass or a Tanganyika cichlids up to 12" long, but she stopped doing it on her own (or perhaps they got bigger than she could eat) and just stick with mackerel or other dead fish. I may have some pictures but I have to dig them out

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Tremendously helpful info, John. Thank you so much. As I was reading I thought it must have been eating or at least attempting to eat those tank mates but it's surprised me to learn she stopped that on her own. I have four of these at about 14" currently and someday will need the knowledge like that to help me decide on their home(s).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store