MONSTER Malaysian Trumpet Snails (Melanoides tuberculata)

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
If you've got a problem with your MTS population, then you've got a problem with overfeeding.

Just sayin'... They're a perfect clean up crew and only get out of control if they have enough food to do so. They never touch plants, just leftovers.

DeathStalker

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2015
United States
I love these - have had a couple at 1"+. I clean out the local PS every once in a while (they consider them all "nuisance" snails). I've had times where there were literally HUNDREDS up the sides of the tank at night :)

Sarlindescent

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2017
I have a love hate relationship with pest snails. I prefer MTS since they are normally hidden when light are on, but can easily grow out of control. As someone who designs all his tanks to have BIG hardscapes and sand, the major issue I have come to resolve is cleaning under the hardscape occasionally. Tank water was always good in jungle tanks, but lift up a piece of driftwood and there is detritus everywhere.

chanathon

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2008
CA
I used to have a problem with mts in my past tank but my group of clown loaches actually learned to such them out of their shells and took care of the problem.

Cichla-Kyle

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2018
Texas
I have a 120 G, sand bottom tank with some messy eaters, I love that my MTS constantly stir my sand so I dont get "tank farts" from gases building up pockets under the sand. I also love that any uneaten food is engulfed by dozens of snails and eaten very quickly. I had a Green spotted puffer that ate them regularly, he died while I was on vacation and my fish sitter thought I'd never notice if they didn't come and actually feed the fish, I came home to a dead puffer being consumed by the snails he so frequently ate. As well as several other dead $$$ fish being eaten.......
I also have a 2 inch MTS hiding in my sand, I see it on rare occasions.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store