Moorish Idol Extravaganza!

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Very impressive. Any more info on that tank, or how the fish are kept?
What kind of info would you be looking for? I think that it's a pretty simple set up as far as how they are kept.

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
What kind of info would you be looking for? I think that it's a pretty simple set up as far as how they are kept.
Anything, really.
Used to be super into saltwater, but gotten out of it in the past few years. Moorish idols were always the top dog for me, though.
I agree they seem to be kept pretty simply. FOWLR, and nothing but NLS pellets.
Does Pedro note anything else that has helped his success in keeping idols?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
FOWLR, and nothing but NLS pellets
Exactly. In his experience if the fish will eat his food, it will thrive for long term in captivity. He seems to be proving his point, again. Hopefully this group are hurricane proof!

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Well dang, it appears that somehow I got the timeframe mixed up on this tank - the owner informed me today that it has been set up for 1 1/2 years, not 4 years as I originally posted. Either way, 25 Moorish Idol all thriving for 18 months in captivity, in a 500 gallon tank, has already got to be a record!

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Well dang, it appears that somehow I got the timeframe mixed up on this tank - the owner informed me today that it has been set up for 1 1/2 years, not 4 years as I originally posted. Either way, 25 Moorish Idol all thriving for 18 months in captivity, in a 500 gallon tank, has already got to be a record!
For sure a record. Even 1 or 2 for that long is nearly unheard of, let alone 25

Reactions: RD. and Matteus

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Anything, really.
Used to be super into saltwater, but gotten out of it in the past few years. Moorish idols were always the top dog for me, though.
I agree they seem to be kept pretty simply. FOWLR, and nothing but NLS pellets.
Does Pedro note anything else that has helped his success in keeping idols?
Check it out!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store