More filtration to help nitrates?

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
Hi guys just an update I’ve just tested my treated tap water and it seems my nitrates are between 40 and 80!!! I’ve cleaned out all the filters too! I’ll test my tank water in a couple of days and see what’s going on then!! I’m not sure if the bigger water changes will work or make much of a difference to my nitrates!
the only thing I could do is just chuck live plants in and keep replacing every couple months!

View attachment 1436219
Terrrestrial (land) plants like pothos. There is a whole thread on this in the stickeys. Activated carbon or Purigen in your filter.

Are you drinking your tap water? It seems worrysome.

Reactions: twentyleagues

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Terrrestrial (land) plants like pothos. There is a whole thread on this in the stickeys. Activated carbon or Purigen in your filter.

Are you drinking your tap water? It seems worrysome.
Are you on a private well in an agricultural area?
The MCL (maximum contaminant level) for nitrate in drinking water from a public water supplier in the U.S. is 10 ppm.
If you are on a public water supply, what city, and state do you live in?
I agree. Hopefully just an... inaccurate test?

Reactions: Oughtsix

Shane templar

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2019
Bristol uk
I’m from Bristol England! It’s the test I always use it’s about a 18 month old! I’ll try and get a water report if I can!
thanks

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
Duanes will understand all that and be able to comment.

It sounds about right that you were from UK. I was gonna ask that bc I've read threads from others in the UK commenting that their water had nitrates higher than what we generally have here in the states

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I'm from Lancashire, so a bit further north than you. This is part of my water quality report, nitrate near bottom.....

Screenshot_2020-10-17-10-22-23.png

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
It sounds about right that you were from UK. I was gonna ask that bc I've read threads from others in the UK commenting that their water had nitrates higher than what we generally have here in the states
US guidelines state that Nitrate-Nitrogen levels cannot be higher than 10ppm for drinking water. The UK and EU simply use nitrate as their reading. To convert nitrate to Nitrate-Nitrogen, divide nitrate by 4.427. So their limit is only slightly higher at 11ppm.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
From the average numbers produced by the 2 water facilities above of their respective nitrate residuals in tap water, both considerably below your test personal result, I would guess your numbers are in error.
Either your reagents are expired, or you aren't being careful, or aseptic enough.
One of the things I always did between tests in the lab where I worked, was to rinse each vial 3 times after with DI water, and 3 times before a new test, to make sure any residual was gone from the tube before starting another set of tests. This aseptic technique regime was required by the lab I was a chemist/microbiologist in.
I will admit that I am not that anal (especially here in Panama (DI is not really available here)), but I do rinse 3 times before and after each set of tests using rain water to rid the vial of anything that might skew results. (I collect rain water here, so its always available, and free of things like nitrate, unless a buzzard krapps on the roof above my rain barrel).
Most aquarium quality test kits are only accurate enough to give only ball park results anyway, so if expired could be totally erroneous, or if not fastidiously done could give far out results.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store