More freshwater gobies to ID (market and lfs)

~T~

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2006
Hanoi, Vietnam
I'm in Vietnam and have been finding interesting fish at a local market (sadly often already deceased) for my pond and tanks. I'm looking for IDs on my latest finds. The first was actually from a LFS (actaully a whole street filled with fish shops). They were in with a load of hillstream loaches so may have been bycatch plus they gave me them for pretty much free and thought it was funny I wanted them. Another reason they were probably bycatch. I stupidly forgot to take of a pic of the hillstreams as this might have made it easier.

1576752947594.png

1576752973865.png

Second are market fish.I didn't get any as they looked pretty big and predatory. I did get the little spiny eel though :) The little chubby ones I posted about in another thread.

1576753175170.png

Thanks in advance!

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
I'd be careful- some of these look like their mouths are bigger than you'd ever expect. I've made this mistake with local fast-water goby... mouth snapped open like a laundry hamper lid, with teeth all over the place.

Is that some sort of spiny eel in the bottom right?

~T~

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2006
Hanoi, Vietnam
I'd be careful- some of these look like their mouths are bigger than you'd ever expect. I've made this mistake with local fast-water goby... mouth snapped open like a laundry hamper lid, with teeth all over the place.

Is that some sort of spiny eel in the bottom right?
Yeah the market ones are tank gobies I think. Big mouths. The small ones I got have been IDd as Rhinogobius sp. yes it’s a spiny eel. I actually took him home :)

87202561-D43F-44BF-BB04-B392656C608B.jpeg

Reactions: andyroo
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store