More of a 'shoot first ask questions later' kind of thing but...

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
So I just resealed my 30 for the second time. It's one of those rare 30 longs (36x12x16) so it was worth resealing. First time around I was resealing it because the silicone looked decades old and was disconnecting from the glass/corroding. I resealed it with a black silicone I got from home depot, but only then did I realize it was GE2 silicone so I scraped it off, and just resealed it with a DAP 100% silicone. It's the DAP max, I'm not sure if the 'max' makes a difference, but it doesn't say which GE it is. It also doesn't say it has any mold inhibitors or antifungal things so I guess that's fine.
Any thoughts? I've heard of people using the DAP brand for aquariums with success.
The other problem I had was I barely had enough for the 30. I originally bought a little 83ml tube to fix a small leak on one of my 5 gallon killi tanks, which turned out to just be water that splashed on it from outside the tank before I put the fish in it. According to Joey's tank repair video the 83 mls would be perfect for the 30, which it was, but the beads are a little thin. That's what I'm concerned about. Will the tank explode if I fill it? the beads are about half the size of a standard bead I'd see on a brand new aqueon tank but then again aqueon is VERY generous with their silicone beads.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I can’t speak to the DAP I’ve never used it.
If it was 100% silicone it should be okay.
The strength of the silicone to hold the tank together is between the glass.
If you were able to achieve good joints without air bubbles and gaps it should be good.
The inside seam does contribute to the holding power, but only marginally.
It’s more or less just to provide a good seal and smooth out so the inside looks a bit better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store