More tank pics, updated

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I started with the avocado sand then added the lime and finally the tan. Notice how next to the green sand the tan now looks white. Colors always affect each other. I used a sponge mop I have for aquarium use to trowel the three colors in a swirl. Added three fistfuls of river rock gravel and a sprinkling of the claret red gravel for accent which will go with some of the plants. The tan sand I got from another company was ridiculously dusty, powder everywhere...Sandtastik sand needs no rinsing. Shoulda gotten their white sand instead but whatever. Really pleased with the look of the substrate. You can see the bright sparkles in the sand.

Kinda pissed, though. I was going to put the hob filters (aqueon 75s) in the slots but they're like 1/8" too wide because of the lip on the motor mount. So now I have to get 'thinner' filters. The slots are 16" x 2" each. Crap. A delay.

I'll let the sand soak in a few inches of water for the time being. Will probably put the soft caves in too to see if they sink properly.

avocado sand.jpg

lime sand.jpg

neutral sand.jpg

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Been waiting to see the mix. Looks great. Might have to steal this mossy substrate idea in the future. ?
Thx. You can get a different effect with various combinations of brown/black/green/white sand with black /brown/white/gray gravel. If using gravel as an accent color, go bold with one color and neutral with river gravel in a mix. For a more murky look, add a bit of mustard (dark yellow) sand like what you see in bogs. I observe different substrates in nature and try to mimic it with color. There are many different types of substrates in nature to copy from clays to soil, plant matter, and different color rock.

Gray sand with black, brown and white gravel kicks too. Has a volcanic island look.

• Love
Reactions: DrownedFishonFire
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store