More tank pics, updated

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Not to be outdone in the decorating department, Patch has her own style. She likes to push plants together or lean them against her canister. The two green plants she pushes together to make a tree. She's also pulled the vines out across the water, making a nice canopy. The vine over her canister she draped to the side. She generally doesn't bother the pothos much unless she wants to rest near the top and it floats in her way.

PATCH 1.jpg

PATCH VINES.jpg

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I almost forgot to mention I taped the cardboard packaging to the rear of the tank for a free background. In my thinking QT tanks need backgrounds for stress reduction.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Yes, he loves his pats and tickles. He has a couple of nicks right now from forcing himself into tight places to scuffle with Boss. Right now he's primarily eating large krill...suddenly he won't eat Hikari. Ridiculous.

Really excited about the new entries. Rex is noticeably larger now. But the way he eats I'm not surprised.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Sometimes you do things with best intent and its the wrong direction to go in. I had opened up some areas for Brick thinking he'd want some extra swimming space totally clear since there was still some squabbling that got pretty intense at times. As it turns out it was the wrong move. He kept looking for different areas to sleep and would often go on the other side of the tank to rest behind some plants. Boss was fine in the "jungle" but Chip ended up leaving his small claimed area and went over to Brick's side. Boss' turf is off limits to him.

So my O got testy and ate little if at all. He tried to bite Boss for the millionth time. He chased Chip. He would poke at Rex. He pulled the 'top' of vines off of Boss' area to go in there and fight. He pulled at the heaters and kept pushing the corner filters out. Classic, 100 percent Oscar tantrum mode.

Also, someone snipped the pothos vine right up the middle last night so it no longer spans the tank. Its okay though, I actually kind of like it better now that it frames the corners. It completely opens up the top and since the vine canopy is in place Brick will swim up there now.

In my never ending search for relative peace, I may have finally , finally, finally hit paydirt (hoping I don't jinx it).

First, I mixed krill with pellets. It was a hit, and Brick is eating pretty well again. He's getting his pats and tickles. Everyone else loves the krill as well, including Patch and Kong.

Second, I moved a couple of plants and made a screened off area like a partition wall on his side. I then moved some smaller plants and made a perimeter on the other side along the back wall. Chip seemed to like this. I also moved the heaters onto the back wall giving the fish more space to 'dance' and swim along the sides. They no longer have to go around the heaters.

It worked like a charm. Now Brick is back sleeping on his side of the tank as if nothing happened. He's playful and full of energy. And to my amazement, nobody is fighting right now?! He and Boss are sharing space with no animosity, and Boss is suddenly cruising on Brick's side during the day (something he hadn't done in weeks). Keep in mind the current layout I had before when everyone was fighting. I will never in a million years "get" cichlids...:y220d:

The new fish Tango (BP) and Cash (Syno) are doing extremely well in QT...in fact they eat and poop at a record pace. Tango has mad decorating skills like Kong. He moves stuff around every day. One day he tried blocking the catfish into a corner by putting both airstones around the filter. He's pushed the small heater somewhat sideways. Tango's eating style reminds me of Chip, kind of 'snatch and go'. And he likes to peep and watch things. Funny fish. And he can eat, eat, eat. Tango is fiesty and energetic but not a crazy glassbanger like Kong. He's also a trip. Every time I move something he moves it right back, even as my back is turned fixing their food.

Cash is more active in QT than Rex was. He'll skitter out a bit during the day. Also, I've added a couple of new pothos clippings to Patch and Kong's tanks. They've already rearranged them.

Some new pics:

Patch prepares for battle with her eternal enemy, the siphon tube. When her eyes tilt up she's ready to bite.

Patch battle.jpg

Last edited:

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
The next few pics are Boss heavy, no pun intended. Some interaction with Chip as he gets run around a bit. It's all mostly bluff at this point, Boss rarely chases him across the entire tank. Sometimes they're mellow around each other...until Boss tires of Chip's company. In the last pic you can see Boss' eyes slanted down. He's annoyed at that point so Chip has to go.

Boss n Chip 1.jpg

Boss n Chip 2.jpg

Boss Chase.jpg

Boss n Chip runs.jpg

Chip run out.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store