Most Aggressive cichlids Top 15

MatthewC73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2017
no Midas on this list? wow ,from my exeprienec they are worse than the red devil and the trimac but that's my experience.

MatthewC73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2017
no Midas on this list? wow ,from my exeprienec they are worse than the red devil and the trimac but that's my experience.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
These threads are to my mind of no value.
There are so many variables to what can provoke an aggressive response from a cichlid.
Everyone that has commented will have kept these fish in different sized tanks,with different tank mates at different temperatures with different sex ratios and at different stages of the fishes life.
Water parameters will be different as will decor and outside tank stimulation.
As will the lineage of a particular species.
How can we possibly gage an accurate assumption.
Cichlids are not aggressive by nature, they just defend their territory and protect their offspring.
Maybe a study of how large a particular species territory is,could reveal the most territorial fish in nature?
I see no defining answer or accurate list when dealing with aquarium situations.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with Darren, I believe most cichlids under normal circumstances are only aggressive if they aren't in the right size (too small) tank.
I have watched a 7" pair JDs defend a territory in nature of about 4ft x 4ft x 4ft (250 gallons +).
Yet most people will say a 75 gallon is adequate, but not from my observation.

Circa4190

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2009
Carmel, Indiana
My personal experience has been in this order...

1.) Festae.
2.) Butti.
3.) Carpintis.
4.) Mayan
5.) Flowerhorn. (I know it's a hybrid and man made, but they're still mean as all get out.)

ccichc

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
Red Devils are mean sobs, I had a specimen that would kill new tankmates in less than 2 hours. removed every scale and plucked the eyes out of them.

dovii is ofc a built machine. Buttikoferi can beat most on that list

Reactions: Serpentine

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Agree with some of the others, no cichlid is aggressive in the right sized tank, predatory yea, territorial yes.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
I agree with Darren, I believe most cichlids under normal circumstances are only aggressive if they aren't in the right size (too small) tank.
I have watched a 7" pair JDs defend a territory in nature of about 4ft x 4ft x 4ft (250 gallons +).
Yet most people will say a 75 gallon is adequate, but not from my observation.
These kind of observations are invaluable.

The meanest cichlids I've ever had were just anomalies. It had nothing to do with what species they were.

Reactions: Serpentine
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store