Most common misconceptions of fish?

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
bump. This is one I had recently.
My family knows NOTHING about fish keeping and as I am only 15, they think I'm an idiot. I was doing a water change and then my grandparents ask "But your water is already crystal clear!" I tell them my nitrates peaked at 40 and that I need to reduce them. They laughed at me like I was a 4 year old who still believed in santa.

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
My family knows NOTHING about fish keeping and as I am only 15, they think I'm an idiot. I was doing a water change and then my grandparents ask "But your water is already crystal clear!" I tell them my nitrates peaked at 40 and that I need to reduce them. They laughed at me like I was a 4 year old who still believed in santa.
"You only need to clean your tank when it gets murky" :banghead:

Sent from my SCH-R830C

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
I had my mates round to watch the footy last sunday and when I started doing a WC they said the very same and when I answered why they looked at me like I was from outa space lol , some people will never understand the ins and outs of keeping real fish :D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

blackghostknife

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
Hammond, Louisiana
I started keeping at 15, now I'm 20. My parents still don't get it

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
I started at about 15 and now I'm 33 and mine still don't (but I'm getting there ;):D slowly )

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Fortunately my girlfriend understands it but the smell of prime and pipes everywhere once a week gets to her lol :D oh and the lack of space in our house due to tanks , my kids are interested until I start going in depth about things then they quickly disappear :D

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
"one inch of fish per gallon of water" I used to use this 4 years ago when I first started in the hobby, but when you think about it, it won't make sense. "Oh! My redtail catfish is 36 inches! So I'm going to give him a 40 gallon just to spoil him!"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store