Most reliable/cheap heaters

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
So I’m currently setting up a quarantine tank for a new fish and want to buy a new heater.

My heater in the main display is aging (2 years old) and I want to switch it out anyway. Which heater brands do you use? I’ve heard good reviews with Jager and fluval (tho I feel like 50 for a heater is kind of a stretch for me). I’m looking for something within 30 dollars that is reliable enough to not overheat my tank and cool the fish alive and last at least 2 years.

Also any experiences with bad heaters is recommended since I want t know what NOT to buy as well!

Reactions: tlindsey

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Well.....you say your current heater is a couple of years old and you fancy a new one. Trust me, getting a couple of years out of what are often problematic modern day heaters is quite a feat. What's wrong with getting another one of your current model? Better going with devil you know than the devil you don't.

You might end up with half a dozen new options during this thread, none of which you'll have a clue as to their reliability. Stick with what you know.

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Well.....you say your current heater is a couple of years old and you fancy a new one. Trust me, getting a couple of years out of what are often problematic modern day heaters is quite a feat. What's wrong with getting another one of your current model? Better going with devil you know than the devil you don't.

You might end up with half a dozen new options during this thread, none of which you'll have a clue as to their reliability. Stick with what you know.
That is true, but my current heater is an of brand that was like 10 dollars and is starting to show signs of water droplets inside. I know it’s a matter of time before it starts failing on me but for that price I may consider getting another one and just switching it before 2 years comes up

'Merica

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2016
Northern Idaho
I’m a big fan of the Finnex titanium heaters. They require a thermostat. I use inkbirds. You may pay a little more up front than you are used to, but with some adjusting of the settings, you will save money in the long run. I have mine set at a one degree temperature variance. So say I set mine at 78 degrees, it will wait to drop down to 77 before turning the heater on to heat back up to 78. This conserves energy rather than being on almost all the time. If you are planning on upgrading, maybe a 500w would work for you. Also, they come with a heater guard, protecting your fish from injuries.

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
I’m a big fan of the Finnex titanium heaters. They require a thermostat. I use inkbirds. You may pay a little more up front than you are used to, but with some adjusting of the settings, you will save money in the long run. I have mine set at a one degree temperature variance. So say I set mine at 78 degrees, it will wait to drop down to 77 before turning the heater on to heat back up to 78. This conserves energy rather than being on almost all the time. If you are planning on upgrading, maybe a 500w would work for you. Also, they come with a heater guard, protecting your fish from injuries.
How long does this heater last? I’m either looking for a less reliable heater that I can change out biyearly or a very reliable heater that can last many years. Thanks for the suggestion I’ll def check that out

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store