Motoros with some sort of Burns.

Mohammed Sadaqat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2016
Mumbai, India
Writing on behalf of a friend, who purchased 4 Motoros, All of them developed red marks around their discs, and after a few days the skin would peel off and a chunk of the disc would be missing, Attached a few pics of a male who is badly damaged and may not see the light of tomorrow, and a female who has started developing the same kind of markings.

Can someone please advise what could be the cause of this, bore water ? (which is what is used in the tank, and I suspect to be the culprit). Also a possible fix.

IMG_8678.JPG IMG_8680.JPG

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
whats bore water? are their bellies all red? might be some sort of disease or possibly ammonia poisoning/burn... im sure someone with more knowledge will answer

Mohammed Sadaqat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2016
Mumbai, India
Bore water is ground water, it usually tends to be salty, and hard. I have never had a problem with my Arowanas and loaches etc, but I have no experience with stingrays. Hope someone can advise.

The lil fella died, he was busted up bad.:(:(:(

Last edited:

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
ok,, got ya,, here we have well water,, depending on where u live its usually hard but there are some places that are relatively soft.... its possible depending on how much salt it could be salt burns, but i have only heard of that when people add salt to the tank and it doesnt dissolve..

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
OMG that does not look good
If I didn't know better I would say that is some serious bites from breeding attempts. My females are torn up from breeding attempts and look bad but no where near the state of the Ray in this picture!
What is the mix of males to females etc?
What are the perameters of the water in the tank?
Something clearly is not right

Mohammed Sadaqat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2016
Mumbai, India
The fella who was torn up was the male, he died a few hours after the post, so can't be mating attempts, plus he's too small, these red markings would appear on his disc and the skin would just fall off.
Right now just two females in there along with a VFSR Arowana.

No salt had been added to the tank, beautifully cycled media in the filters(3 of em), 30% water changes a week. ph is at 7-7.5.

Mohammed Sadaqat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2016
Mumbai, India
Had a close look at the tank in question, bore water which was used, is slightly salty not like seawater though, this was leaving salt deposits at where the water level is, this made me check the base of the tank, checked with hand and found salt deposits at the bottom of the bare base tank, that had to be it. A quick scrub and water change (to fresh drinking water) the rays have started moving much faster across the tank, as opposed to sitting at the sides, and are hunting them baby feeders like hungry lions...
Thanks flukekiller, Jim Barry and Millerkid519.

Reactions: jim barry
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store