Apr 29, 2024
Indianapolis
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
21-30%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hello! I am brand new here and just got into the hobby 2 months ago when I decided to put an aquarium in my dog grooming business. I did lots of research before setting the tank up, but as you know it's all a lot to learn. Today I noticed that one of my Rosy Barbs has something significant going on with her mouth. She does not look well and is not eating. Upon further inspection I noticed some super small white spots on my male rosy barbs.

I uploaded my most recent water test results (today). I also included a photo of the meds I have on hand. I do not have a quarantine tank yet but am willing to set one up ASAP however I am afraid my whole tank needs treatment now.

I couldn't get a great photo. I do have video on YouTube but am unable to post the link as I am a new member. My YouTube handle is @RaeLeaHolmes. I only have one video (Rosy Barb Mouth Issue) which is the video pertaining to this issue.

75 Gallons with one FX6.
Temp: 76-78f

6 Rosy Barbs (2 male, 4 female)

1 EBA
2 Ottos ( 2 mysteriously died. One the day after purchase, the other 3 weeks later.)
4 Corycats
2 clown plecos
6 Rainbow fish ( Just added 4 days ago. No I did not quarantine 😞 )
2 Assassin snails.

I have several plants but I care more for my fish's health than the plants so am willing to replace plants if any needed treatment kills them.

I posted this on several FB groups and didn't receive any helpful advice. I really love these fish and want to do whatever I can to keep them healthy. I am extremely grateful for any advice!

IMG_2108.jpeg

IMG_2107.jpeg

IMG_2090.jpeg

IMG_2015.jpeg

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Welcome to the forum! Beautiful tank!
I wouldn’t sweat the otos dying - they are one of those fish that seem like they should be easy but just don’t do well.
The barb looks like it has a bacterial infection, likely due to an injury. I would try seachem kanaplex (it can be safely dosed to the display tank) and see if it clears up.

RaeLea

Feeder Fish
Apr 29, 2024
Indianapolis
Welcome to the forum! Beautiful tank!
I wouldn’t sweat the otos dying - they are one of those fish that seem like they should be easy but just don’t do well.
The barb looks like it has a bacterial infection, likely due to an injury. I would try seachem kanaplex (it can be safely dosed to the display tank) and see if it clears up.
Thank you! Do you think Maracyn would be a suitable alternative? I have that on hand and can dose immediately.

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Thank you! Do you think Maracyn would be a suitable alternative? I have that on hand and can dose immediately.
Worth a shot - if after a full treatment you see no change I’d move on to kanaplex though.

thiswasgone

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2014
California
Maracyn 2 and Kanaplex are both broad spectrum antibiotics that target gram-negative bacteria (most common home bacterial infection in fish are gram-negative) so either will work if it is a bacteria infection. For best effect use medicated food laced with either medication at 1-5% of the total food mass used (e.g. for 100g of food use 1-5g of either Maracyn2 or Kanaplex.) and do not put the medication in the water. While it won't cause any major issue it's an overal waste of medication and could potentially (extremely unlikely; effectively 1 in a million chance) cause problems within your tank by producing antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

"Hospital tanks" should only be setup if you have a sponge filter that is already cycled or if you will be giving temporary (~30min-1hr) medical baths. Otherwise isolation tanks that are not cycled will definitely kill your fish due to the extra stress from a broken nitrogen cycle.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store