Moving detritus up the water column in deep tank

wallskm

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 30, 2017
Please see my original thread for more information on my tank including pictures located here: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/newbie-1000-gallon-help.688239/#post-7757156

I am continuing to plan my aquarium setup and want to ensure that I can get debris, poop, etc out of the main tank and to my filter and welcome suggestions on how to do this. My overflows are located at the top of the back corners and in the middle of the back wall.I have read up some on undergravel jet systems to try and move this debris further up the column which looks like it could be useful. However, I would like some plecos in the tank and worry if this will make it hard on bottom dwellers. Additionally, I have considered using something like a jecod cross flow or maybe two with one at each end to create a gyre effect trying to push the debris upwards. Are there other options I should consider? I welcome any feedback. Thanks!

wallskm

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 30, 2017
Oh, I forgot to mention that my tank is about 5 feet tall if I am remembering correctly.

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
I ran as my returns straight down the center of the tank, this combined with fish that stir up the substrate and a closed loop with intakes about a foot from the bottom worked great. I literally didn't have to vacuum the sand once in 2 years. Here's a pic during setup, you can see how far down the water reached from the returns. Good luck. The tank is 4 feet tall. Screenshot_20170710-081205.png

wallskm

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 30, 2017
It makes me a little nervous when I consider having any intakes or returns far down into the tank. I would prefer to keep them up top to prevent any significant back-siphoning in the case of a pump issue. I'll have check-valves but don't want to rely solely on them for an issue. Other ideas? How about the undergravel jets vs a gyre-type powerhead?

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
It makes me a little nervous when I consider having any intakes or returns far down into the tank. I would prefer to keep them up top to prevent any significant back-siphoning in the case of a pump issue. I'll have check-valves but don't want to rely solely on them for an issue. Other ideas? How about the undergravel jets vs a gyre-type powerhead?
The low returns are on a closed loop with an Ultima 2 filter. No chance of water draining due to pumps turning off. Look into it a bit, it works great.

Reactions: jaws7777

wallskm

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 30, 2017
Hmm I am considering an Ultima filter most likely but was planning on running it through a mechanical filter first as Ive read it does grwleat bio filtration but not as good mechanical. So it would not be closed loop.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Both mechanical and Ultima can be plumbed in closed loop.

mech filter.jpg

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
A number of folks have said the Ultimas doing a good job of mechanical but you need to run them based recommended gph which people ignore.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
To help move detritus up to the water column in a deep tank, you can drill into the lower half of the overflow box. Proper stand pipe is required to prevent drain out the tank for gravity systems. Should be no problem for closed loop.
Here's an example:
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/posts/6329194

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store