Moving Fish Cross-Country

Slightly Psycho Aquatics

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2019
Hi guys!
Just a week or two ago my family and I learned we were moving from Colorado to Georgia. My parents aren't comfortable with transporting large amounts of fish, so I narrowed my collection down to a few of my favorite fish: striped raphael catfish, a bichir, and an RTS. I'm planning on putting them in a cooler (about 8 gallons), with some of the beneficial bacteria and a battery-powered air pump hooked up to a sponge filter. I also have family who live near our new house who have a kitty pool in which I can house the fish when I get there. Oh, and this is in July. Does this plan sound like a recipe for disaster?

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Start over new sell your current stock. It seems like a headache and possible heartache to drive them all that way just to have them die. You wouldn’t have enough time to set up a new tank or have it cycled.

Reactions: islandguy11

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
Hi guys!
Just a week or two ago my family and I learned we were moving from Colorado to Georgia. My parents aren't comfortable with transporting large amounts of fish, so I narrowed my collection down to a few of my favorite fish: striped raphael catfish, a bichir, and an RTS. I'm planning on putting them in a cooler (about 8 gallons), with some of the beneficial bacteria and a battery-powered air pump hooked up to a sponge filter. I also have family who live near our new house who have a kitty pool in which I can house the fish when I get there. Oh, and this is in July. Does this plan sound like a recipe for disaster?
How long are they likely to be out of a tank once you get to where you're going? If only a few days I doubt it's worth moving them into the pool.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
To be honest I think it sounds plausible but I haven't moved fish myself to a different states. J jaws7777 has before, perhaps he can give you a few tips.
Also, I'd like to welcome you to the peach state.

Slightly Psycho Aquatics

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2019
How long are they likely to be out of a tank once you get to where you're going? If only a few days I doubt it's worth moving them into the pool.
Hopefully just a few days, but it may turn into a week or two given that we might not get down to our house before the movers and they might put our stuff in storage if we don't get there in time.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I like all the suggestions above. What you propose sounds plausible but this can go wrong on many levels. 8 gallon cooler seems tiny, unless your fish are tiny and if they are, I tend to agree with Dloks: sell them and restart your hobby safe and stress-free at your new place.

Since you are dependent on your family, I'd propose to consider this - spend all your energy and time helping them move as smoothly as possible instead of saddling them with your problems and tasks. They will reward you later by supporting your hobby better than ever before. It's a win win.

Supergeorge123

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2018
The kitty pool is a bad idea. Transporting them by vehicle in the summer means that they would likely die from the heat in the car unless you took them with out of the car with you whenever you stopped for more than 30 minutes.

I would tranport them the way you described but i am one person by myself who could keep an eye on them however i wanted and haul as much butt as i wanted and not be constrained by anyones elses schedules.

Reactions: tlindsey

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
I'd sell the fish and start again once you are set up in the new house. Moving is a big hassle, especially over a long distance and worrying about fish only makes it worse. I've moved once with live fish and once where I had sold off my stock and there's no way I would do it with live fish again.
If it was just you possibly you could try it but since you will most likely be following your parents schedule I think the fish will be an inconvenience and have a good chance of dying during the move.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store