Moving large catfish.

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
Recently came across a true p.perruno at 24" and a Niger at 27" at a decent price, £100 for both.

I'd arranged to collect them and brought a huge container to transport them on the long journey back, (300 milles) the tub its self was 4ft x 2ft x 18" more then enough to move two large fish in.

By the time if got back, the Niger had managed to stab the perruno and cause an internal bleed. I lost her a few hours later after trying all that I could to save her.

Quite silly when I think why didn't I buy another container!

My lesson learnt, I'd never traveled two large fish together before.

Gutted to say the least. Although the Niger is fine.

Just a heads up for anyone planning on moving any large cats.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I used to move catfish and other fish from pond to pond as part of my management plan, and can say young channel cats have wicked spines, the same is true of other catfishes

Hoplo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
New Zealand
Ouch that sucks.

And yea for transporting any (non small tetra) I always do my best to use seperate containers as I find that they are a lot less happy at the other end otherwise.

knobhill

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
IN A PLACE
i Had to move my 2 niger cats from the house into the garage..only about 50 feet. I used a koi sock. Once they were in the sock and couldn't see, it was relatively easy to move them, no thrashing until I put them in the garage tank. Needless to say, I was soaked as were the floors lol

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
depending on fish i use a soft rubber net or pillow case.
sometimes a big bag just bag it in the tank.

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
oops just realized its transporting large fish lol...
sorry for your loss op.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store