Mucosus catfish.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Nice fish. Id be interested in updates on growth and max size. Is this the same fish sold as "dalmatian shovelnose"?
I have heard that name used. From
Looking at the fish it could be easily used.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I have heard that name used. From
Looking at the fish it could be easily used.
How skittish? I looked at getting one of these awhile back but figured my tank wasnt wide enough because of the whisker span. Ive heard the larger leiarius cats need super width for their whiskers so i applied the same logic and decided against it.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
How skittish? I looked at getting one of these awhile back but figured my tank wasnt wide enough because of the whisker span. Ive heard the larger leiarius cats need super width for their whiskers so i applied the same logic and decided against it.
They are a bit skittish but not like ornates. They will stay out when I walk by but messing with my glass tops occasionally spook them. There whiskers I think are about double their size but easily manageable.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I have a feeling you got him from either aqua imports or wes, am I right?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you.

I probably overreacted. Sorry about that, bro.

EntoStentor EntoStentor 's experience that he shared could be true, I can't dispute that, but (1) the extent of the experience was not stated - how many fish, what fish, time period, etc., and (2) his explanation has caught me by surprise as it seemed totally made up. Adrian, if you can cite a study or a trustworthy opinion supporting your allegation, please share. I am all for learning and open to schooling and will promptly take my critique back and apologize.

Last edited:
Reactions: moe214 and kno4te

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Thank you.

I probably overreacted. Sorry about that, bro.

EntoStentor EntoStentor 's experience that he shared could be true, I can't dispute that, but (1) the extent of the experience was not stated - how many fish, what fish, time period, etc., and (2) his explanation has caught me by surprise.
No worries.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
First off, sorry for not replying earlier. Preparing for AP tests and such. A week till finals so I've been studying a lot.

I didn't mean it as an immensely important piece of advice that kno4te simply had to follow or else his fish would certainly die (indeed, under his care I doubt the cat would ever get fin rot at all), but simply some advice I thought he should know.

I had a school of pictus that all got mouth rot on their whiskers. I was keeping them on sand and the decorations were sparse, water params fine, doing water changes, etc. One got it and they all got it. I never saw fin rot progress any faster. They were almost a quarter gone in a day. Treated them and they're all fine now.

Now, I would never do this myself, but a good way to test this would be to put pictus in crap water and then cories in crap water. I'd be interested who died first (of fin rot, hopefully. It would be annoying if they got some other disease, lol).

Idk, maybe it was just a fluke. But again, I was just sharing experience and never meant it as "long whiskered catfish need perfect water and are super susceptible to fin rot!!!! Watch them extremely closely!!! YOUR FISH ARE ALL GOING TO DIE AAAAAAAA!!!!!". I was just pointing out that they might be more vulnerable. Sorry if there was a misunderstanding.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
One or all of these must be the likely explanations behind your experience, not the made up one you are offering.
Water params were fine man. Why would I make this up? Ron is a better fish keeper than I will ever be and I'm in no place to tell him how to keep fish, just...telling him what happened to me.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store