Mudskipper diseases

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
Hey i was looking to gather any information on illnesses in mudskippers. I know that theyre very resistant to illness and poor water quality and waa wondering if they were affected by standard fish diseases.

Anyone whos had a mudskipper id be interested to hear if you dealt with any diseases, whether they resolved themselves, and how long yours lived for.

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
A little background on why i wrote the thread is i had some guppies in saltwater that got cotton mouth due to me drainibg and moving a tank with them still in it. I was keeping them with my moray eels.

I stupidly Forgot to bleach my tongs before feeding an african mudskipper. Soon after the live bearers in the mydskippers tank started showing sigms of saddleback. And it was definitly a slow moving variant as the fish didnt show progression of the disease for weeks they were simply flashing. So i sucked every live bearer out with my siphon besides maybe 4 guppies.

All the inhabitants come mangrove enviroments where the salinity changes from fresh to salt with the tide like thai devil crabs that can live in both. I alternated between fresh and saltwater to see if thatd kill the infectious bacteria. The saltwater columanaris mustve acclimated to both.

I ended up feeding my muskipper some kanaplex because i didnt want to take any risks. He showed no symptoms before and after.

So my question is do they get sick with other fish or does it not matter because theyre on land 99 percent of the time unless they get startled.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I haven’t had mudskippers, so take this with a grain of salt. I don’t see why they should be any different than any other fish though - so long as they are exposed to a pathogen that infects fish, they are able to be infected. Even if they are on land, they are likely still moist enough for any parasites to survive as well.
Whether or not they catch something in the wild, lfs, or your tank, they can get sick like any fish.

Reactions: Fallen_Leaves16

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
I haven’t had mudskippers, so take this with a grain of salt. I don’t see why they should be any different than any other fish though - so long as they are exposed to a pathogen that infects fish, they are able to be infected. Even if they are on land, they are likely still moist enough for any parasites to survive as well.
Whether or not they catch something in the wild, lfs, or your tank, they can get sick like any fish.
Theyre supposedly disease resistant and resistant to ammonia toxicity. I agree about the moisture being enough for any disease to survive.

Kanaplex is kind of rough on the fish so whether or not it would benefit the mudskipper is kind of questionable.

As far as mudskippers getting sick the only thing i really find is that theyre resistant or cause people to get sick. I dont have a facebook.so it makes searching the mudskipper group ineffecient.

The disease also failed to transfer to my morays which are known to be completely resistant to some pathogens and relativly resistant to others.

The only loss has been a few guppys a green spotted puffer, the disease transferred to some livebearers but did not kill them. It seems that varying the salt level slows its progress. The guppies that escaped being culled seem to have recovered for the most part.

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Most gobies have a thick mucus coat that makes them pretty disease resistant, so it’s not surprising they fared well. Puffers, of course, don’t do so well with sickness.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store