Mudskipper paludarium- an alternative solution

blackghostknife

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
Hammond, Louisiana
still... that takes some form of talent with your hands.

jonny5

Candiru
MFK Member
May 14, 2010
california
Quick question about your mudskippers. I am getting close to finishing my archer tank with a built in ledge around 3 sides of the tank. I am going to place a skipper or some skippers in it and i would absolutely love your species (the vietnamese one i believe) but i fear about predation, my archers are the microlepsis so they should only get to about 7 maybe 8 inches.

Can you give any advice on this? because if they might get eaten then i will just grap the atlantic skipper (which i believe you have with archers)

HX67

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2008
Up over
Quick question about your mudskippers. I am getting close to finishing my archer tank with a built in ledge around 3 sides of the tank. I am going to place a skipper or some skippers in it and i would absolutely love your species (the vietnamese one i believe) but i fear about predation, my archers are the microlepsis so they should only get to about 7 maybe 8 inches.

Can you give any advice on this? because if they might get eaten then i will just grap the atlantic skipper (which i believe you have with archers)
Hi jonny5.

I'm not sure which species is referred to as Vietnamese skipper, but mine are Periophthalmodon septemradiatus.
The smallest, female, is about 5 inches and the males about 6". They haven't grown during the last year or so, so I'm assuming they are about "fully grown".

Now the 10 inch archers I had were true predators, easily attacking prey up to half their size.
The barbarus was close to 8", and was left alone by the archers.
That said, I'd probably go with the larger skippers with archers. Not more than one though, since P. barbarus will end up killing it's own kind unless the tank is really large.

And that said, there's always a chance that if you get the fish at a comparable size, they end up not bothering each other when they grow up?
Tough call.

Good luck with your tank!

jonny5

Candiru
MFK Member
May 14, 2010
california
ya thanks man, hopefully it will turn out nice. Ya the mudskippers you have are also refered to as vietnamese mudskippers. I think i will try them just because it might work out and my largest archer is 6 inches now and the other 3 are only 4 inches. Plus i have a built in wall to protect the skippers path as they move around the tank, you can see it as the foam that is not carved yet.

IMG_0298.JPG

IMG_0298.JPG

HX67

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2008
Up over
Try getting the mudskippers a bit on the bigger side, and I'm sure you'll be fine.
They're sometimes sold quite small.

The background is looking very, very promising.
If you can, provide the skippers with shallow puddles to hang out in. You know, belly wet but eyes in the air. They seem to like that over anything else. Fun to watch them roll around every once in awhile to wet their backs and eyes. And take fresh water in their mouth to breathe.

Oh, and be sure to provide hangouts that have a visual barrier. They relax, if they can't see each other.

Good choice.

blackghostknife

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
Hammond, Louisiana
sorry that I have been away for so long. gone "fishing" lol. anyway lookin' good. as always:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store