Multi layer bottom aquarium.

eon aquatics

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2021
Is it a good idea to use gravel separators?
Then the dirt could sink to the bottom of the aquarium.
And i was thinking using filter bags with zeolite as a substrate inside of them would work well, because the gravel is still there, simply in bags making it easier to clean the gravel.
Simply by taking the bags of zeolite out and washing them, rather than needing to use a scoop for the gravel and process it.
Also i was thinking this would cause the dirt to accumulate under the gravel separators.
After removing the gravel bags, the separators could be taken out and the bottom could be much more easily siphoned or cleaned.
And with some flow through the bottom of the aquarium such as the canister filter tubes under the separators would cause water to flow through the zeolite and the zeolite could benefit the water conditions.

eon aquatics

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2021
This way i could get away with a high GPH canister filter, because the water current under the gravel separators would obviously be dispersed.
Of course the higher the GPH the more electricity cost per month.
But not needing to clean the aquarium as often would be a benefit.
And the zeolite would help keep the ammonia down.
I was thinking i could put a layer of these under they gravel separators as well, creating a smooth layer of bio media and helping to reduce the ammonia without much work involved.

eon aquatics

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2021
This idea sounds perfect
Maximizing water flow rate
Maximizing aeration
Maximizing bio media
Maximizing ease of cleaning
Among other advantages
Zeolite advantages
Advantages of creatively using filter bags.
Advantages of filter in and out under the gravel bags to reduce risk of GPH being too high
A better variety of high GPH canister filters to choose from

eon aquatics

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2021
I kind of feel like the bottom layer of a aquarium is the most important part, and deserves more attention.

eon aquatics

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2021
Rather than simply dumping gravel in the bottom of the aquarium or worse yet leaving it bare bottom without much appeal.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Sounds very much though as you are turning the bottom of the aquarium, the area where many of the fish live, into the filter. Hence putting the fish in the filter. Surely it’s a better idea to put the filter in its separate container, preferably on the outside and make the bottom of the aquarium as natural as possible for the inhabitants and as large as possible.
Much comes down to what you want the tank to be, is it planted, does it house fish that dig or rearrange furniture, etc. etc.

eon aquatics

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2021
Thats a good idea,
I do know that light panel can be used with elodea, putting large clumps of elodea at the bottom of the aquarium and a light panel (mesh) on top of the elodea, weighed down with a couple rocks.
This makes the elodea grow up from the bottom of the aquarium rather than floating and decaying, the roots have a chance to grow and the light panel allows the elodea to grow from the bottom up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store