Multiple female

mnshah

Feeder Fish
Sep 24, 2019
Hello i would like to know if a male green terror can breed with different female GT the same time in the same tank.
I bought 4 green terror juvenile size couple months ago hoping to have a pair found 3 female guarding eggs... Plz help thank you

Red Cichlids

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2019
Sacramento
I hadn't seen that in green terrors, but some of other cichlids, particularly Lamprologus will keep several females in different locations within the larger territory of the male. Interested to see if he fertilized more than one batch. He might have only taken part in one spawning.

Reactions: mnshah

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello i would like to know if a male green terror can breed with different female GT the same time in the same tank.
I bought 4 green terror juvenile size couple months ago hoping to have a pair found 3 female guarding eggs... Plz help thank you

duanes duanes
MrsE88 MrsE88

Reactions: mnshah and MrsE88

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Yes, a male can/will fertilize more then one females eggs.

I’ve only kept two females in with my male and they’ve both had spawns at the same time. Normally one is a few days behind the other.
They spawn on opposite sides of the tank and the male just hangs out in the middle.
Here you can see how each female claimed a side for themself.
D1D7E63F-560C-400C-9327-B079DC0144A3.jpeg

Now my male would spawn with both, but he really only courted and bonded with my big female. She is his favorite. He pretty much just saw the little female lay eggs, go do his job fertilizing them, and then leave. He’d hardly ever return her flirting. Kinda sad. Lol

Ultimately things didn’t workout long term. Both females have been removed from the tank. He got hith from the stress the two females caused him. Now he runs the tank with his son.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee

I’ve only kept two females in with my male and they’ve both had spawns at the same time. Normally one is a few days behind the other.
Ultimately things didn’t workout long term. Both females have been removed from the tank. He got hith from the stress the two females caused him. Now he runs the tank with his son.
Agree, and i believe if I hadn't divorced my first wife, I'd be dead by now, or at least be riddled with the human equivalent of H.I.T.H.

mnshah

Feeder Fish
Sep 24, 2019

They spawn on opposite sides of the tank and the male just hangs out in the middle.
Here you can see how each female claimed a side for themself.
View attachment 1391303

Now my male would spawn with both, but he really only courted and bonded with my big female. She is his favorite. He pretty much just saw the little female lay eggs, go do his job fertilizing them, and then leave. He’d hardly ever return her flirting. Kinda sad. Lol

Thx for info and picture

Reactions: MrsE88 and tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store