Multiple tank stands (not DIY)

Seedy J

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2018
Colorado, USA
I'd like to get a stand that can accommodate multiple tanks, 40-75 gallons (40 breeder at the very least), and don't want to build one from scratch. It's for a basement/fish room and doesn't need to look like nice furniture. Depending on the actual dimensions of the shelves, would something like this work? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gladiat...EC-_-rv_gm_pip_rr-_-206727800-_-300055808-_-N

There's an old Aquarium Co-op video where he found a cheap stand from Lowe's that fit 40 breeders perfectly, but the stand is discontinued now.

What off-the-shelf shelves (heh) or stands have you used and would recommend?

Last edited:

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I don't know, but I think it depends on how many 40s you have as opposed to 75s. The weight difference is enormous.
Here is a useful link.
https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/standard-aquariums-weights-sizes/
The weights vary from tank to tank, but figure a little less than 10 lbs per gallon plus glass plus sand or gravel that could be 30+lbs a gallon plus stone and other decorations. The chart should be roughly accurate. Also remember the stand must be flat, level and rigid, or it will crack glass tanks and craze acrylic ones.

Seedy J

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2018
Colorado, USA
It says the 48"L stand can handle up to 1500 lbs. per shelf. That's probably optimistic, but even a 75g weighs a good deal less than that. I'm thinking a piece of plywood under each tank would be a good idea too. For the time being, I'd be using the stand for 2 40 breeders and a 10g. I'd eventually replace the 10g with a 55g or 75g... or maybe even just start out with the 77"L stand so that I'll have room for future MTS-fueled poor decisions.

ny.subway

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 31, 2017
I used before the edsal brand of metal shelf of home depot or musce rack of Walmart. They have sizes that fits right thru a 40 gallon breeder and 75 gallon with ease. Had it running for about 3 years until I moved. I've seen some that used cinder blocks and good long lumber from home depot.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
It looks like it is made of standard parts. You could double up the shelves.

ny.subway

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 31, 2017
The metal shelf came with a wood board but a doubled up with another board wood.

Seedy J

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2018
Colorado, USA
I used before the edsal brand of metal shelf of home depot or musce rack of Walmart. They have sizes that fits right thru a 40 gallon breeder and 75 gallon with ease. Had it running for about 3 years until I moved. I've seen some that used cinder blocks and good long lumber from home depot.
I was originally looking at the Edsal shelves but someone mentioned that the shelves are made of cheap pressboard and might not actually hold the weight of an aquarium. That was just speculation though, sounds like you had a good experience with them. Doubling up the boards - do you mean you just get another board that's the same size and stack it on top of the existing one?

ny.subway

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 31, 2017
The board actually doesn’t hold the tank, its the wedge part of the metal shelf holds the tank, i double the board so it will help with weight distribution. I bought a 3/4 board and cut it then layered it with the original board that came with the shelf. I’ve seen few friends who dont use the board at all so they can use 1 light on 2 tanks.

Reactions: J. H.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store