Musky keepers?

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
I see lots of large predatory fish on here, but haven't seen anyone keeping muskies (Esox masquinongy or variations thereof, Tiger Muskies and such)

Are they not common in aquariums? Hard to find? Hard to keep? HUGE space requirements? I don't think I'll ever have the room for one, but would love to know the general space requirements (wishful thinking?)

Edit: No clue why my font and color changed...

JIM

Banned
Nov 5, 2008
Indiana
Im kind of surprised myself, LMAO but with a possibilty of reaching 6 ft, i think only the ones with super huge tanks could manage that.

(Whisper) but i would like to try :headbang2

Steveo McNello

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2010
SW Burbs of Chicago
I used to have 3 muskies at 10" in my old 125. Raised them up a little bit for a friends pond. Sort of boring to have. They have the wow factor for sure, but thats about all.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JIM

Banned
Nov 5, 2008
Indiana
I found bowfin to be the same way, they are super cool to study, but they sure dont do too many interesting things other than at chow time :)

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
I dont think anyone could even house such a large and predatory fish if they could they would need an enourmous tank cough* arapaimag cough*

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
Seeing some of the incredibly large tank on here, I halfway expected to see some being kept. I didn't realize they got to 6' though... Some fisherman I am, lol.
A local fishing site stocks tiger muskies, but I've never caught one, I was under the impression they hit 3'-4', guess I was off...

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

catspaw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2018
I see lots of large predatory fish on here, but haven't seen anyone keeping muskies (Esox masquinongy or variations thereof, Tiger Muskies and such)

Are they not common in aquariums? Hard to find? Hard to keep? HUGE space requirements? I don't think I'll ever have the room for one, but would love to know the general space requirements (wishful thinking?)

Edit: No clue why my font and color changed...
I have a tiger muskie, theyre native where I live. Its one of my favorite fish right now. has been super easy to keep. I have it in a 210 gallon right now. we will see how big it gets. I haven't found much online for how big they get in captivity

catspaw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2018
Seeing some of the incredibly large tank on here, I halfway expected to see some being kept. I didn't realize they got to 6' though... Some fisherman I am, lol.
A local fishing site stocks tiger muskies, but I've never caught one, I was under the impression they hit 3'-4', guess I was off...

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
in the wild they get 50-65" (n caught ones) I have one, and I am interested to see how big it gets.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I have a tiger muskie, theyre native where I live. Its one of my favorite fish right now. has been super easy to keep. I have it in a 210 gallon right now. we will see how big it gets. I haven't found much online for how big they get in captivity
Did you catch it?

Reactions: Matteus

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
They go from about a 8 inches to about 30 inches in one to two years, eventual size is a little under 50 inches.

This fish will require a decent size pond fairly quickly

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store