My 100 Gal Project

Beast020

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2018
So I got this huge (to me) tank and sump from my buddy and i have a few questions. This tank was sitting in my buddy's field so as you see it is dirty also some of the seams have busted on the tank sump is intact. My plan right now is to clean up and repair the 100/110 gal tank and set it up outside for a month or so as a pressure test. I have found 2 Fluval FX6 for $180 each so I am thinking of picking up one of them for the 100 gal if everything works out and then stocking with freshwater fish see question 4. Am I crazy for wanting to rebuild the 100/110 gal tank dose this tank seam like a lost cause?

Sorry for the blurry pics I took these quickly as we were unloading them.

IMG_20180805_195514.jpg IMG_20180805_195643.jpg

My plan for the 50 gal sump is to finish removing the dividers that are already starting to break out, and turn it into a 50 gal tank.

I cant use the sump for the 100 gal because of the location i want to put the tank doesn't have room for the sump.

Question 1: This tank has been sitting out in the Texas sun for a wile, so does acrylic lose structural integrity in the heat and sun? How do I tell how bad of shape it is in?

Question 2: Is the FX6 a good filter option for this?

Question 3: Live stock I want to start with some Crayfish out of the pond out back, I know crayfish are territorial so how many could I get away with in a tank this size? I was planning on 1 male and 1 female before I saw the size of the tank and now wonder if I will have room for more.

Question 4: What a compatible fish to crayfish? Largest compatible fish that wont out grow this 100/110 gal tank?

I guess that is all my questions for now. I will get more pictures this evening to show all the issues I have found so far.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
With the tank resealed it will probably be ok, unless their are noticeable cracks in the acrylic.

You could probably do 4-6 crayfish in that tank comfortably,as long as there are visual barriers and plenty of hiding places.

Many larger fish will eat crayfish,many smaller fish will be caught and eaten by crayfish.
Fish that may work include: topminnows,guppies,hatchetfish,zebra danios,creek chubs,killifish,nerites snails

Reactions: Beast020

Beast020

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2018
ok what with out crayfish what would be the largest fish i could keep in a 100 gal with out having to up size or re-home?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store