My 10inch cichla stressed and need help.

purpleblau

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2017
Hi experienced owners,

I got a couple 10-11inch monos two weeks ago.

At first they were fine and now they seem to be stressed and won't eat anything. Their pretty colors are all gone.

How can I get em to eat again?
How much salt should I put per gallon to treat the water? I don't know if they are sick or not.

Please help me! Thanks a lot!

IMG_9629.JPG

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
Don't worry. New cichla would be stressed for a few weeks if you got them as a group. The bass look hefty enough to live without food intill they get use to you. If you feel the need to feed them, then, feed them clean belly stuffed feeders.

purpleblau

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2017
Don't worry. New cichla would be stressed for a few weeks if you got them as a group. The bass look hefty enough to live without food intill they get use to you. If you feel the need to feed them, then, feed them clean belly stuffed feeders.

Thanks for the advise! That relieved me a bit. However, they were always fed on frozen smelt from the previous owner. They ate well in the first week. But this week they were moody and seem to be scared all the time. I didn't do anything to scare them. Water temp is around 81 F. They are not babies, so they lived in 80 F before all the time.

I think I'll wait and see how they develop.

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
What size tank are they in now?
WHat size tank where they in previously?
How often do you do water changes?
What is fltering their tank?

purpleblau

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2017
What size tank are they in now?
WHat size tank where they in previously?
How often do you do water changes?
What is fltering their tank?
The tank is slightly smaller than the previous ones. It's enough for now and shouldn't be the problem. Water change every week. About 15%. I'm using a 901b JBL external filter. Water quality is good and tested. Strange.

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
The tank is slightly smaller than the previous ones. It's enough for now and shouldn't be the problem. Water change every week. About 15%. I'm using a 901b JBL external filter. Water quality is good and tested. Strange.
THis didn't answer any questions. YOu are just beating around the bush. SOunds like you know your tank is too small for the group of bass you purchased. YOur water change's aren't nearly enough for the amount of bass and size of tank. That is why they are losing color and not eating.

Reactions: Monsterknan

purpleblau

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2017
THis didn't answer any questions. YOu are just beating around the bush. SOunds like you know your tank is too small for the group of bass you purchased. YOur water change's aren't nearly enough for the amount of bass and size of tank. That is why they are losing color and not eating.
Thanks. The tank is 5 feet long. Not the biggest I know. Maybe it is too small. I'm gonna get a bigger one soon. Good news is they start eating again and pretty colors are back too. I figured that I had to approach the fish from the side of the tank, not straight to the tank because of the size of the tank I guess.

Bennlfer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2009
Nunya
Thanks. The tank is 5 feet long. Not the biggest I know. Maybe it is too small. I'm gonna get a bigger one soon. Good news is they start eating again and pretty colors are back too. I figured that I had to approach the fish from the side of the tank, not straight to the tank because of the size of the tank I guess.
Yeah I agree the tank size is going to cause you problems. I unfortunately have to thin out my stock in my tank cause I couldn't save for a new 300 gallon fast enough and they are getting too cramped and fighting a lot and what not :( My bass are only 7 to 9 inches and my tank is 6x2x2. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth... Good luck!

purpleblau

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2017
Yeah I agree the tank size is going to cause you problems. I unfortunately have to thin out my stock in my tank cause I couldn't save for a new 300 gallon fast enough and they are getting too cramped and fighting a lot and what not :( My bass are only 7 to 9 inches and my tank is 6x2x2. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth... Good luck!
Thanks! Appreciated. Yea, i will get a bigger one soon. They fight all the time. Not cool!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store